Chasing some help from downunder

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Chasing some help from downunder

Postby Peter72 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:54 am

Hi all.
Im after a set of dies (450 Bushmaster) that aren't available locally (Australia), all on back order with no eta.

If anyone knows a shop that stock these AND will ship internationally please let me know.

Cabelas don't, asked them already.

Cheers from downunder.
Peter72

Re: Chasing some help from downunder

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:39 pm

OpticsPlanet has the dies in stock and does ship internationally.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/hornady-custom-grade-series-five-four-die-set-450-bushmaster-546452.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/our-policy.html

You could also try Midway and Brownells.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Draino » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:00 pm

G'day Peter.

Mine just arrived here in Darwin from Natchez in the USA. Not as fast or as smooth a transaction as Brwonells, but they got here.Not cheap either, freight was another USD$75 on top. I've emailed Brownells but no reply on ETA for stock.
Draino

Postby Draino » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:01 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:OpticsPlanet has the dies in stock and does ship internationally.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/hornady-custom-grade-series-five-four-die-set-450-bushmaster-546452.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/our-policy.html

You could also try Midway and Brownells.

Opticsplanet specifically told me this was a not an item they would ship internationally to me in Australia. I dont know why though, and I dont know why they didnt list it that way on their catalogue online.
Draino

Postby plant_one » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:32 am

to ship pretty much anything firearms related internationally a dealer (or individual) must maintain special licencing ($2250/yr) and comply with all ITAR regulations via customs.

all told its a fairly significant amount of red tape as i understand it, and just how much varies from depending on the destination country of said products.

needless to say its a right proper pain in the pickle. and it even applies to individuals :/

i was trying to ship 1k peices of LC 7.62x51 to a buddy down under a while back (pre sandy hook) so he could convert a bunch to 7mm-08 for himself and a few friends. it got picked up by customs as an ITAR violation - i didnt even know empty, unprimed brass fell under the rules. i got a nasty letter from customs regarding it, and had to sign a waiver saying basically that i was really stupid and now that i knew what i was doing was wrong i would face some harsh penalty's if i did so again. its been a while, but IIRC it was $75k or $100k penalty for a future offense.

at least i got my brass back that customs had grabbed, and lucky for him since i had to split it between two boxes because of weight, the smaller box got past customs so he did end up with a couple hundred pieces.
plant_one

Postby Draino » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Doug,

If its any interest, my local shop in Darwin NT has just received stock of the factory Hornady loads (well, I just 90% of them) and the dies are due on Thursday. Maybe your local has some now?

Cheers.
Draino

Return to Reloading for the 450b