Hodgdon reloading data

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Hodgdon reloading data

Postby Talon_ » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:47 am

I wanted to let everyone know that the Hodgdon has their reloading data for the 450 Bushmaster on line.
Talon_

Re: Hodgdon reloading data

Postby Hoot » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:29 am

Welcome aboard OM and thanks for reporting that to us. I heading there right now to check it out,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:38 am

I'm a little disappointed that they do not have any data for either the 200gr FTX or the 200gr Barnes XPB. Both work very well in the 450b and they have the same frontal area as their heavier cousins. The latter is my go-to bullet for big northern whitetails.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Cutright » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:42 am

Hoot do you find a big difference in groups between the two with the same load? If a particular load shoots great with the FTX, will it shoot the Barnes great also? I haven’t found that to be the case, was just wanting your findings
Cutright

Postby Talon_ » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:50 am

I was hoping Hodgdon would have load data for the 200 grain xpb also. They list H4198 for the 275 grain tsx bullet. I am curious about everyone’s thoughts on that powder.
Talon_

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:52 am

Was just about to post this myself. Glad to see they finally put something up. Just glanced through it, but their velocities seem a little low with a 24" barrel, compared to other data I've seen with 16" barrels.
Bmt85

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:08 am

Talon_ wrote:I was hoping Hodgdon would have load data for the 200 grain xpb also. They list H4198 for the 275 grain tsx bullet. I am curious about everyone’s thoughts on that powder.

Honestly, if you have some and want to experiment, give it a try. I wouldn't personally go out of my way to find/buy some though. It's about 100fps less than Lilgun, on a compressed load, and only saves you a little pressure.
Last edited by Bmt85 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmt85

Postby plant_one » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:38 am

printed. thanks
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:57 pm

One of the unsung features if H4198 is unlike the majority of other (ball) powders for this caliber, it is temperature compensated, extruded powder. Loads developed at a comfortable 70 deg, will not be much different in velocity when fired at say, 30 degrees during hunting season. Every ball powder I've used exhibits sensitivity to temperature. I've always accepted that as the price of playing. If you find a load that shoots well using H4198, consider keeping it around. That is unless you live in a region with little temperature variation between the off season and actual deer season. IIRC, the reports I've seen from members using H4198 was that it was OK, just not outstanding in terms of resultant velocity. I've said this ad nauseum, but this caliber is plenty deadly at even modest speeds. So other than bragging rights, there is little gained from squeezing every last drop of velocity out of it. The exception to that tenet is when you see the accuracy go up the faster you can kick it.

There are two parallel worlds emerging, mostly this year. The performance from an AR platform (still my favorite) and the rapidly growing bolt action offerings. The latter seems to offer a lot more flexibility for the reloader, mainly due to not being as restricted in COL as the AR platform. Where we struggled to hit a safe, easy on the brass, brass load to achieve say 2500fps from an AR platform, that's just where it begins when using a bolt action or single shot.

Different strokes...

WRT the other question about the 200 FTX vs XPB. Though they weigh the same, they are different families of bullet and I never bothered doing a head-to-head with them, all else being equal. Both 200 grainers do well using similar charges, but then the 200's shoot well across a wide range of charge weights. Like the 225FTX, I've seen three velocity accuracy nodes from the 200 FTX before maxing out in safe charge weight I'm sure the same can be arrived at using the solid copper XPB's. It just costs a lot more getting the answers to the particulars when using the Barnes XPB, than it does with the FTX bullets. Doubly so when you catch a sale on blemished 200 FTX bullets from Midway. They're down right cheap to shoot then. This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask the gang. Has anyone else noticed a marked downturn in availability from Midway and their Factory Second and/or blemished offerings this year? Last year, hardly a week went by with not seeing some great deal in them for our caliber. My guess is that Midway is growing tired of losing more lucrative sales of their normal bullets due to folks flocking to their blemished or factory second bullets. I stocked up on both the blemished 200 and 225 FTX bullets the last time they had them, so I'm sitting pretty on 200's and 225's for the foreseeable future.

Lastly, I've made brief mention of the fact that my foreseeable shooting future has been getting more optimistic what with just having my mobility limiting bad left hip replaced about 10 days ago. It keeps getting better daily. Probably not quick enough to entertain making this year's deer season which is only about 3 weeks away. I will not feel confident enough by then with my hip, to wander off in the woods alone, which is my preferred way to hunt. :( Look out next year though!

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Talon_ » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks Hoot. I hope that your hip heals well.
Talon_

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b