Lee 450 BM Factory Crimp Die

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Lee 450 BM Factory Crimp Die

Postby ballisticedge » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:49 pm

I got a chance to play with the FCD a little last night. Shooter 75 is correct about crimping lower. I did notice the crimp area is much wider than what is produced by the Hornady taper crimp die. It was easy to adjust, and I still have some tuning to do with it. Right now I am not sure it could be modified to crimp lower. It has a sleeve the activates a collet which preforms the crimping. The sleeve contacts the shell holder to operate. I could not find a way to disassemble it. There is no carbide resizing ring like the other version. It is replaced by the activating telescoping sleeve.

Question- Has anyone ever tested the amount of holding power of some of the crimping methods discussed on the board? It would be interesting to know the amount of pull required to overcome the different crimp methods.

I also set up the RCBS 45 acp expanding die. it woks great. I felt the Hornady expanding die was to aggressive on the case mouth. It is hard to adjust due to the 7/8- 14 thread as well as it only works the case mouth. I feel the aggression will lead to premature neck failure. The RCBS is easier to adjust finely as the stem is threaded 1/2x20. The design of the stem has a section to expand down the case similar to a bottle neck die's use of a expander button which gently expands the case body just under size of bullet diameter. And the other section to gently expand the mouth which I believe is machined to about 11 degrees. This just opens enough for the bullet to fit in nicely.

Will try to write more later after more use
phil
ballisticedge

Postby shooter75 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks for the write up. In order to lower the crimp you would have to cut down the bottom portion of the sleeve proportionate to where you want the crimp on the case. Ive crimped several rounds i reloded tonight and you couldn't tell visually that it was crimped. I did a taper crimp to .475 as well. We'll see.
shooter75

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:28 pm

-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Gifters » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:56 am

So far my lee die has worked well for me. Haven't noticed any slipping. BalisticEdge, any more thoughts, or issues?
Gifters

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b