Hornady sst ml and ftx are same bullet

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Hornady sst ml and ftx are same bullet

Postby Insttech1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:49 pm

According to hornady cust service.
According to web the sst ml is supposed to be a little tougher.
According to hornady it's a dual use bullet used in the factory 450 ammo.
Maybe you already knew this. Strange to me.
I have read about many guys seeking out the sst
Because it's supposed to be better and then pitching the muzzle loader sabots. ..

Anyway... Just some info
Thanks
Insttech1

Re: Hornady sst ml and ftx are same bullet

Postby MOOSE EARS » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:40 pm

Not surprising, kinda obvious, except for the yellow tip ones
MOOSE EARS

Postby Insttech1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Yeah except many guys online are seeking the sst. I don't know why hornady even calls it that. But per their website the case wall is supposedly thicker blah blah blah.
Starting to get a bit irritated with them doing this crap especially with the whole black vs custom and the phase out
Insttech1

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:39 pm

Insttech1 wrote:Yeah except many guys online are seeking the sst. I don't know why hornady even calls it that. But per their website the case wall is supposedly thicker blah blah blah.
Starting to get a bit irritated with them doing this crap especially with the whole black vs custom and the phase out

I could have sworn some member here did a cross section comparison a few years back and there was no difference. If you're interested in loading them, I bought a few boxes a few years back to experiment with before realizing I didn't need a 300gr bullet in this caliber for whitetails. I could set you up with a box for a reasonable price.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:07 am

The old SST ML bullets had a hard pointed plastic tip available in 250 and 300gr, were also available as the TC Shockwave with a yellow tip, blue tipped SW's were bonded. They all had a reputation for either not expanding or detonating on impact, many of us confirmed this with our Savage ML's launching them at 2400fps. Never tried the bonded on hair at that time.

Around the advent of the 450, Hornady came out with the FTX line with the soft spongy tips and not surprising the ML bullets were now spongy tips too. I've sectioned them all to compare jacket thickness and could tell no difference. I had no way of checking lead hardness or jacket hardness which might of been a variable, but jackets and construction were the same across all of them. Those pics are tied up in photobucket and I have since move to a different hosting service but if I run across them in my cleaning I'll repost what they looked like.
Al in Mi

Postby Insttech1 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:48 pm

Thanks guys.
Hoot I debated on them but I now have 3 different bullets on the way to try out.
That should keep me busy.
Those deep curls and xtp mag 240s.
And some 230 jacketed hollow points from a reloading place that may or may not work. He thinks the jackets are up to snuff for the velocity. Will find out. Have a small batch coming of those
Insttech1

Return to Reloading for the 450b