Chronograph-Which one?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Chronograph-Which one?

Postby plant_one » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:13 pm

one thing i will warn you - with the magnetospeed - is that it MAY interfere with your barrels harmonics and cause POI shift. Some folks say that its a real problem, others done have much issue with it effecting things.

barrel profile likely has somethign to play with this (bull barrels being stiffer and therefore less effected than a pencil barrel).

ive had mixed results, however most of my guns show little to no noticeable accuracy differences though.
plant_one

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:15 am

commander faschisto wrote:If you can set up downrange, this one from Caldwell is great:

https://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/Cal ... CEQAvD_BwE

CF, you have one of these or seen one ??

looks like it would take care of sun glint and other light issues.
Al in Mi

Postby jgilesg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:23 am

I have one of them and had a few problems with it.

The first one i got was reading incorrectly. Numbers were way off and it was giving a reading when a round was shot just outside of it with the chronograph anywhere from 1 foot to even 10 feet from the barrel. Not sure if that means it was the muzzle break doing it or sound wave. I called Caldwell and they told me this happens occasionally but they couldn’t tell me why. They sent me a new one and it works good.

Second, the tripod that comes with it is really light weight. I bought a better one and that fixed that issue.

Third, with the upside down design is a bit top heavy and wobbly.

This is my first chronograph so not sure if these issues are somewhat common or not
JG
jgilesg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:46 pm

plant_one wrote:one thing i will warn you - with the magnetospeed - is that it MAY interfere with your barrels harmonics and cause POI shift. Some folks say that its a real problem, others done have much issue with it effecting things.

barrel profile likely has somethign to play with this (bull barrels being stiffer and therefore less effected than a pencil barrel).

ive had mixed results, however most of my guns show little to no noticeable accuracy differences though.

That’s why I won’t buy one
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:07 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
plant_one wrote:one thing i will warn you - with the magnetospeed - is that it MAY interfere with your barrels harmonics and cause POI shift. Some folks say that its a real problem, others done have much issue with it effecting things.

That’s why I won’t buy one

Ditto.

WRT errors due to muzzle proximity to the chrony. That's not unheard of It picks up the ejecta from the burned powder. I have gotten used to setting mine up as far as the remote display cable will reach. I made mine from CAT5 Ethernet patch cable to allow it to be somewhere in the vicinity of 15 feet from my muzzle. Most of the bottleneck calibers I shoot don't need that much separation but the 450b does.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:05 pm

I use the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph with the cable connected remote control unit. It is easy to set up and use. I put it on top of an old camera tripod that I had lying around.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/858466/competition-electronics-digital-remote-control-for-prochrono-chronograph
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b