Low starting loads to test new Gun?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Low starting loads to test new Gun?

Postby rabidus » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi all!

Working on my custom bolt action and almost completed.

I want to reload some rounds before the rifle is done (waiting for go/ no-go Gauges from Pacific)

I have some 200gr SWC cast bullets and some 330gr PC bullets sized down to .452”

I have the following powders. H110, IMR 4227, lil gun, Unique and Bullseye.

I know trailboss gives great low power loads but I’m looking for a load above 1,000 and below 1,500.

I also know in military cartridges like the 30-06, 7.7 japanese, .308 you can shoot 7 gr of bullseye for a light plinking round.

Is there anything possible with the 450BM?

This will be my first headspace job on a bolt action. Wanna play it safe.
rabidus

Re: Low starting loads to test new Gun?

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:01 am

Welcome aboard, tell us more on your build!!!

I know H110 isn't a good choice for reduced loads, Unique and Bullseye would be way to fast burning in my opinion but your right, lot of guys doing it in bottleneck cases.

Just not a lot of guys shooting cast in the 450 yet, but maybe somebody shooting sub rounds will chime in.
Al in Mi

Postby rabidus » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:54 am

Interarms X receiver

Timney featherweight trigger

Rhineland Arms QPQ 16.5” barrel.

Redfield Rear sight.

Pachmayr XLT grind to fit rear pad.

Old Bishop Stock cut to barrel length.

Real Milk Paint dark tung oil finish.

rabidus

Postby pitted bore » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:54 pm

rabidus-
The photo shows a very attractive rifle. If its accuracy lives up to its appearance, you should have a fine arm.

Unfortunately my reloading library is 2500 miles and a week away, so I can't offer particular recommendations.

Lyman's latest reloading handbook (#50) includes loading data for some cast bullets in the 450B.

You might find it helpful to look at a thread in this forum from 2010 in which I tried some Unique with a 300-grain cast bullet. It seemed to work OK.
The specific post is dated Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:16 pm. The thread:Some Cast Bullet Trials - A Joint Project

Please report here your experiences with the rifle and loads.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby rabidus » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:00 pm

pitted bore wrote:rabidus-
The photo shows a very attractive rifle. If its accuracy lives up to its appearance, you should have a fine arm.

Unfortunately my reloading library is 2500 miles and a week away, so I can't offer particular recommendations.

Lyman's latest reloading handbook (#50) includes loading data for some cast bullets in the 450B.

You might find it helpful to look at a thread in this forum from 2010 in which I tried some Unique with a 300-grain cast bullet. It seemed to work OK.
The specific post is dated Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:16 pm. The thread:Some Cast Bullet Trials - A Joint Project

Please report here your experiences with the rifle and loads.
--Bob

Is yours the 15.5gr or unique load? I remember seeing it. Was going to knock 1.5grains for the 330gr powder coated bullet.
rabidus

Postby Hoot » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:00 pm

rabidus wrote:
Is yours the 15.5gr or unique load? I remember seeing it. Was going to knock 1.5grains for the 330gr powder coated bullet.

rabidus;

In case Bob can't bet back to you in a timely fashion, I believe he was using 12.5gr of Unique with the 300gr bullets. Other than being able to read, I have no experience with cast boolits, let alone bolt action rifles in this caliber, just parroting what Bob wrote. Good Luck

pitted bore wrote:After the failure at increased velocities, I decided to go the other way. I found my copy of an older Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, and based on their recommendations with the 45-70 and similar cases, I decided to try Unique powder with a Dacron/polyester wad to hold the powder against the head of the case. I selected 12.5 grains, and loaded 10 rounds with the 300-grain bullets I used above.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby rabidus » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:48 am

Thanks Hoot.

I have 330gr Gould bullets from a Lyman mold. So I’ll drop down to 11 grains to start out. The rounded ogive will help feeding.
rabidus

Return to Reloading for the 450b