re-chambering same round

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: re-chambering same round

Postby plant_one » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:25 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:
plant_one wrote: . . . you can lightly apply some sally hansons hard as nails (clear nailpolish top coat) around the mouth of the case "

You can get Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails at Wallgreens, CVS, or your local grocery store in the cosmetics section.

walmart has it too, as do just about anywhere else that has nail polish products.

i think its like $4 a bottle at walmart
plant_one

Postby trob_205 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:43 pm

After putting calipers on newer boxes of Hornady Black and Hornady Custom ammo there doesn’t appear to have any crimp applied, unless they are using a different method that isn’t contacting the case mouth. It measures the same as my uncrimped reloads.
trob_205

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:38 am

trob_205 wrote:After putting calipers on newer boxes of Hornady Black and Hornady Custom ammo there doesn’t appear to have any crimp applied, unless they are using a different method that isn’t contacting the case mouth. It measures the same as my uncrimped reloads.

That is indeed an enigma. The only possible explanation that comes to mind would be the fact that they are using new, unfired brass that has not been work hardened or stretched during ignition, then resized. Brass being a ductile metal. Otherwise, your guess is as good as mine. FWIW, a quality micrometer is generally a more accurate measuring system than a digital caliper.

What was the actual reading you got?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby trob_205 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:09 am

Hoot wrote:
trob_205 wrote:After putting calipers on newer boxes of Hornady Black and Hornady Custom ammo there doesn’t appear to have any crimp applied, unless they are using a different method that isn’t contacting the case mouth. It measures the same as my uncrimped reloads.

That is indeed an enigma. The only possible explanation that comes to mind would be the fact that they are using new, unfired brass that has not been work hardened or stretched during ignition, then resized. Brass being a ductile metal. Otherwise, your guess is as good as mine. FWIW, a quality micrometer is generally a more accurate measuring system than a digital caliper.

What was the actual reading you got?

Hoot

All of them measure .477-.478. I was getting a measurement off my crimped loads at .474-.475 and uncrimped at the same .477-.478 like both box ammos.
trob_205

Postby coyote wacker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:10 am

What I do to cup-core bullets is do a double cannelure (side by side) using Ultimate Cannelure Tool then use a stab crimp....using a kinetic bullet puller it will take 5-6 very hard wacks to get a bullet to move...10 bolt drops on a AR-15 the bullet might move .005"....

I been in contact with Kevin to see about making a V- roller for the Ultimate Cannelure Tool so that a "V" can be rolled in the case after bullet is seated to secure in the cannelure of the bullet....no stab crimp needed...

If interested in purchasing a Ultimate Cannelure Tool....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... elure-Tool

Couple videos on Ultimate Cannelure Tool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erFYwYVMW1U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xI0iGZuyRw

Also though about putting a Cannelure in case like 9mm 45 ACP ammo to stop bullet going deeper in case hitting feed ramp....

Using Cutting Edge Bullets Copper Raptors I put the stab crimp in one of the groove of the bullet..
coyote wacker

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:46 pm

that's a work of art right there!!!!
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:42 pm

Al in Mi wrote:that's a work of art right there!!!!

Shwing!

There might be hope yet for 230gr FMJ's

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b