450 Bushmaster 245gr XTreme Penetraor

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 450 Bushmaster 245gr XTreme Penetraor

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:21 pm

have any Lilgun on hand?
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:41 pm

ed61163 wrote:Ok tried some more test loads today. Still using CCI 400 primers and Hodgdon H110 powder. 35.5 grs 15' 2227fps. I think I will be sticking with this load, but I am still having issues with the casings ejecting. I ran a couple of factory rounds with no issues, so I think my problem is with the sizing of the casings. I am using Hornady dies. I am thinking of buying a set of Lee dies to see if this fixes my problem. Any thoughts?

For H110, I would use a hotter primer than those CCI 400's. Lil Gun, being faster may be more tolerant of them. I eliminate that guesswork by using Rem 7 1/2 in all my 450b loads. They are plenty hot, as are Winchester SR primers and Federal 205M, or at least they were at one time. We all assume that primer manufacturing is different from all other manufacturing. I see way too many products that I have repeatedly bought over time, being made for a penny less here and there and it shows in the quality. It would be great if German Salazar reran his tests from back in 2005.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:39 am

ed61163 wrote:Ok tried some more test loads today. Still using CCI 400 primers and Hodgdon H110 powder. 35.5 grs 15' 2227fps. I think I will be sticking with this load, but I am still having issues with the casings ejecting. I ran a couple of factory rounds with no issues, so I think my problem is with the sizing of the casings. I am using Hornady dies. I am thinking of buying a set of Lee dies to see if this fixes my problem. Any thoughts?

What upper you running?

Simple test here, pop your upper and pull the carrier out, then do the "thunk test" by dropping one of your reloads in the chamber. Do it with a factory round and one of your reloads, see if they "thunk" about the same. If so, I'd say your dies are good.

Ejecting with factory and not your reloads makes me lean towards not enough pressure with your H110 load. If you have another powder or bullets on hand, might be worth giving them a try to start eliminating things. As Hoot mentioned, might be as simple as a primer switch.

On your 37gr load, what did the primer look like and were there any ejector marks/swipes on the case head?

Also, have you chronoed your factory rounds?
Al in Mi

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b