hour glass ammo???

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: hour glass ammo???

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:03 am

Robert FL wrote:The unfired BB with 275 Barnes measured 1.715". I measured a new Hornady and it was 1.691"

Interesting. That 1.715 is beyond SAAMI spec. Not surprised at the length however. When I was playing with the TightNeck project, I too noticed that the cases, as you would expect, grew longer as you squeezed them down in diameter. No surprise there. Applying the total change of 1.715 to 1.694, if those hour glass cases had been trimmed to 1.695 before loading them, which is what a lot of normal cases go with, the resultant shrinkage would have left the cases at 1.674, also beyond SAAMI spec. I usually don't use brass shorter than 1.685 when the results count, but save the shorter ones down to 1.68 for foulers. Shorter ones will work as long as you strive to use cases that are all the same length in a test run. Helps tighten up the velocity SD when using a taper crimp. FWIW...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b