Reloading for the Ruger American Rifle (Bolt)

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Reloading for the Ruger American Rifle (Bolt)

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:52 pm

jccinohio wrote:I'll be starting the same project soon..

For this gun (Ruger American). Did you happen to measure one of the bullets in the magazine after shooting one? So put one in chamber, one in magazine, shoot one in chamber, and take the one out of the magazine and measure it for overall length? Just wondering if the crimp is strong enough to keep recoil from causing the bullet to creep (in or out).

Texas Sheepdog: I see you have an RCBS press.. One of the reviews for the Hornday dies on MidwayUSA says that the seater die only gets one thread of engagement when set to seat the bullet. Do you have the Hornday set, and does it work ok on your press?

I run an RCBS Supreme and Hornady 450B die set. I have no issue with the dies not threading down far enough. However, I have a Hornady 7.62x39 die set, and the seater die only goes in 1-2 turns before crushing brass. The 7.62x39 sizing die also sizes the case head down WAY too much. Not happy with that set at all. No issues with the 450B set, though.
Bmt85

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:38 pm

jccinohio wrote:I'll be starting the same project soon..

Texas Sheepdog: I see you have an RCBS press.. One of the reviews for the Hornday dies on MidwayUSA says that the seater die only gets one thread of engagement when set to seat the bullet. Do you have the Hornday set, and does it work ok on your press?

OK, I’m going to edit this video and uploaded to my YouTube channel and I’m going to post the link here. That comment in that review that makes that claim is absolutely false and I am about to prove it by showing you that exact Hornady seating die in two different RCBS rock chuckers. One made back in the 1970s-early 80s and one made back around 2013.
Whoever made that claim. I’m about to make you famous.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Having read that review, it’s obvious that it’s either a moron or a troll. He even claims that he called Hornady and Hornady confirmed with him on the phone that’s how they work.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:48 pm

Here’s the proof that Hornady dies work fine with RCBS rock chuckers
https://youtu.be/VEW9uMWOxfY
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:41 pm

TSD, you are correct in your conclusion but you left out an important part of the seating die, that if not aligned perfectly, can cause the problem that fellow reported. There's another moving part between the seater adjustment screw that contacts the bullet. I'm not keen on videos and if necessary, I can upload some still pictures. With that seater adjustment screw out of the die body, tap the die down on a table top upside down and look at what falls out. That sliding piece fits in the body with Very Close Tolerance and if it is not slid smack dab down the exact center of the die body, it will bind up and the seater adjustment screw will not go in very far. I called this out some time back as it had me perplexed for an evening. Having a lick of sense about me, I was able to figure it out, apparently unlike the fellow who posted that review.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:00 pm

Follow Up from a post by Pitted Bore:

Letter I in the diagram.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:22 pm

Yep. But he was addressing the “threads” and the claim that Hornady shrugged his concerns off. I’m pretty sure I could have gone into detail but my pain this week has been above average and I was just trying to address the issue quickly.
I’m cranky.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:25 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:...snip...
I’m cranky.

Long winded too... ;)

Hope you feel better soon.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:12 am

I've had that "I" stem hang up on the top of "J" before too, if the reviewer had that happen while he was setting the dies up, then very well could have been very few threads in the press.
Al in Mi

Postby jccinohio » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:08 am

Well it looks like we've got to the bottom of that issue ;)
jccinohio

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b