Reloading for the Ruger American Rifle (Bolt)

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Reloading for the Ruger American Rifle (Bolt)

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:28 pm

Hoot wrote:Shoot! Got lapped again. :roll:

Who lapped you? No one could beat that last explaination! Well written!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Firehunter » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:36 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Firehunter wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I wouldn’t push them through a Ruger 1:16 twist. Period. Sell them to a handgunner and go buy the XTP mags or something more suitable for the velocities and 1:16 twist RAR.

Could you go into more detail as to why these wouldn't work? I have some that I use with sabots in my muzzleloader and thought about trying them in my RAR.

What’s the twist on your muzzle loader and what velocities are you obtaining?
There’s probably a huge difference.

1:28 twist and 1900-2000 fps
Firehunter

Postby Firehunter » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:57 pm

My bad!! I read Hornady XTP 250gr and was thinking Barnes XPB 250gr. While reading Hoot's awesome detailed explanation I was thinking, it's not a jacketed bullet, it's solid copper. Then I went back a reread. Sorry about that guys. I love Barnes bullets. I'm planning to work up some loads with the 200gr XPB and the 275gr TSX/XPB. Like I said I use the 250gr Barnes XPB in my muzzleloader and 3" 12ga Federal with a 1oz Barnes Expander in a slug gun. They are just plain devastating on deer. Has the 250gr Barnes been tried in the 450BM?
Firehunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Firehunter wrote:Could you go into more detail as to why these wouldn't work? I have some that I use with sabots in my muzzleloader and thought about trying them in my RAR.

1:28 twist and 1900-2000 fps[/quote]
1:28 twist is a SLOW roller compared to 1:16 and your velocities are going to be 2200+. Compound that information together and considering the pressure developed to push down a 1:16 twist, and then read Hoots explanation, and that’s why you don’t want to send thin jacket bullets in a 450 Bushmaster. One more minor observation is that you’re using a plastic sabot in that 1:28 twist and when you load it, you forcibly cause it to conform to the lands of the rifling as you drive it down into the bore. So technically, it’s not having to shrink and shape itself to the bore under extreme pressures. Your bullet basically is already scored for the shot.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Firehunter wrote:My bad!! I read Hornady XTP 250gr and was thinking Barnes XPB 250gr. While reading Hoot's awesome detailed explanation I was thinking, it's not a jacketed bullet, it's solid copper. Then I went back a reread. Sorry about that guys. I love Barnes bullets. I'm planning to work up some loads with the 200gr XPB and the 275gr TSX/XPB. Like I said I use the 250gr Barnes XPB in my muzzleloader and 3" 12ga Federal with a 1oz Barnes Expander in a slug gun. They are just plain devastating on deer. Has the 250gr Barnes been tried in the 450BM?

Solids are a different matter. You should be okay as long as the diameter is .452 - .451 but it’s always good to ask questions.
As for what Hoot and I have been saying, everyone needs to understand that you need a really good and thick jacket bullet for the 450 Bushmaster. Period. Plated bullets and thin jacket bullets are not a good idea, they are dangerous.
We do NOT encourage the use of them.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:37 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Who lapped you? No one could beat that last explaination! Well written!

By "lapped" I mean that in the time it took me the think out and compose my response, someone else who started at the same time, or after me, finished theirs before me. Not the end of the world, but sometimes we both wind up saying the same thing. It just takes me longer to say it. My typing has gotten a lot worse lately. Painfully slow due to my fingers not doing what they're told. Doesn't happen when I speak, just when I type. Just ask anyone who has to listen to me go on and on in more detail than they wanted, in a FTF discussion. :lol:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:53 am

Firehunter wrote:My bad!! I read Hornady XTP 250gr and was thinking Barnes XPB 250gr....snip...

Actually, the exception folks take with the Barnes 250gr XPB is that it has an entirely different profile than the 200 and 275 XPB bullets. I'v never reloaded those particular bullets but that's because I've seen images of them. The 200 and 275 are more pointed, like a conventional rifle bullet, with a higher BC for better ballistic performance and the 250 is more blunt, with a generous, cavernous hollow point. They look more appropriate for a .45 ACP than faster calibers.

There, I kept it short! I'm much less loquacious in the morning as I have to finish drinking my coffee, get to the shower and get to work in a limited amount of time. ;)

Speaking of which, off to the shower...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby oren87 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:48 am

Hoot wrote:
oren87 wrote:Sounds good, I can go unload the 20 factory rounds I bought this weekend and get back to it next week. I plan on using this load for whitetail; should I consider another bullet weight? I already have 2 lbs of Lil'gun I would prefer to use.

Good choice with Lil Gun. It'll serve you well across a lot of bullet weights, any of which will reliably put venison in the freezer. If you'll be hunting shelter belts in cropland, with the possibility of shots in excess of the distance I see in the northern MN woods, consider the Hornady 200gr FTX. Faster, flatter shooting with the same frontal area as the heavier ones. This caliber bleeds off speed like a shuttle cock, compared to smaller bottleneck calibers once it gets out there. Check your PM's in a few minutes neighbor.

Hoot

Went out yesterday with some 250 FTX (factory loads) and I love this gun. The recoil was about what a 20 Gauge SST puts out, I was able to move my scope back to a more comfortable position after realizing this wasn't like a 45-70 pushing 400 grains. I'm going to track down some 200 gr FTXs and start loading these back up, like with the 250 FTX do you guys have recommendations on charge since the book is very conservative on the 450B?
oren87

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:21 am

oren87 wrote:...snip...I'm going to track down some 200 gr FTXs and start loading these back up, like with the 250 FTX do you guys have recommendations on charge since the book is very conservative on the 450B?

Oren, Check your PM's

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Hoot wrote:...snip... I finish off by brushing the main body threads with some MoS bearing grease like My Favorite Link...snip...

Don't bother ordering any of this right away. I just snatched up their last 3 in stock tubes for co-workers. (disciples). 8-)

If you don't mind it in a small, screw top tub, as opposed to a 2.8oz tube, you can get 2oz for a very reasonable price on Ebay. Just search for Dow Corning G-n paste.

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b