Best 450 Bushmaster Dies?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Best 450 Bushmaster Dies?

Postby lovetohunt93 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:04 pm

I am curious to know which dies everyone is using for the 450B and how they like them?

I am going to order some soon but looks like Hornady, Redding, Lee, and Lyman 450 dies can be purchased from Midway. Not sure which ones to go with.

Thanks
lovetohunt93

Re: Best 450 Bushmaster Dies?

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:40 pm

lovetohunt93 wrote:I am curious to know which dies everyone is using for the 450B and how they like them?

I am going to order some soon but looks like Hornady, Redding, Lee, and Lyman 450 dies can be purchased from Midway. Not sure which ones to go with.

Thanks

I have not tried the Lee dies but I do own sets for other bottleneck style calibers. They seem to work fine for my needs. Members who have the Lee 450b die set don't seem to be complaining about them.

That having been said. I use the Hornady dies in other calibers as well and they are my 450b set. IMHO, as long as you chamfer the mouths, the Hornady seating die makes them easy to start bullets without having to use the expander, which I don't like doing. So, my money's on Hornady. IMHO: Here's why:

Brass, like many other metals has a degree of springback. We know that the 450b needs all the neck tension it can get. If you seat the bullets into an unexpanded case, it springs back in the direction it came from. IE towards the bullet = good. Applying the taper crimp reinforces that inclination.

If you expand the case and then seat the bullet, the case stays expanded until you force it back towards the bullet using the taper crimp die. Once that die is removed the brass wants to spring back in the direction it came from, IE away from the bullet, albeit a very small amount = less good. If you're using a stab/side crimp, it won't matter.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby MOOSE EARS » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:53 pm

That's an easy answer. Anything besides Lee! Hornady is my preference because of the quality and features.
MOOSE EARS

Postby Firehunter » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:56 pm

MOOSE EARS wrote:That's an easy answer. Anything besides Lee! Hornady is my preference because of the quality and features.

Really ?? I use several different sets of Lee dies including the 450 Bushmaster and have never had an issue with them. I would highly recommend them to anyone.
Firehunter

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:07 pm

I almost forgot to add CH4D. They offer a die set for the 450b as well, but its price tag is up there. I've never used their dies in any caliber, so I can't comment on them, but perhaps someone here has?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby MOOSE EARS » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:51 am

When I first started reloading, I took the advice of a LGS dealer who talked me into buying some Lee dies because they would replace them if I had any problems and they were CHEAP. Well, they had to replace them because they were CHEAP JUNK. They seated the bullets off center in the case. Later on, I tried another set in another caliber. They replaced those as well, same problem. It took 2 lessons but I finally learned and once I bought a set of Hornady New Dimension dies, I realized the difference between high quality dies and cheap dies. Don't waste your time and money on low price loading equipment unless you like returning stuff for replacement. Lee makes a great set of plastic powder measures and the hand loader for portable use is cool. Avoid the rest of their products, especially the cheaply made presses and dies.
MOOSE EARS

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:59 am

I have heard a lot of experiences like Moose Ears, so have not tried a set of Lee dies. I will say there factory crimp dies are good. Own a bunch of them.

When I started reloading 450B, Hornady and CH4D were the only options. Like Hoot said, the CH4D are pricey, plus I think they were a custom order, so longer wait time. So I went with Hornady for the 450B, and haven't had a problem.

I see Redding is now making a set for 450B. Redding makes good stuff, but I personally wouldn't buy their standard dies. Other options that work just as good for less. Now there Type S sets, I do spend money on. I really like the bushing full length sizing dies and micrometer seating dies that keep everything inline and concentric.

Never tried Lyman dies for anything.
Bmt85

Postby plant_one » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:59 am

my expierence with lee dies has been fantastic. they have made me a LOT of good ammo. they are the primary brand of die i have on my bench.

if lee dies had been available when i bought my 450 dies, thats the box that would be on my shelf right now.

now i'm not a long range benchrest competition guy, so i've not noticed anything in my ammo construction that will hamper the type of shooting i do. If i were playing that kind of game i would more than happily invest in a higher quality set of dies for that caliber.
plant_one

Postby Firehunter » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:14 pm

MOOSE EARS wrote:When I first started reloading, I took the advice of a LGS dealer who talked me into buying some Lee dies because they would replace them if I had any problems and they were CHEAP. Well, they had to replace them because they were CHEAP JUNK. They seated the bullets off center in the case. Later on, I tried another set in another caliber. They replaced those as well, same problem. It took 2 lessons but I finally learned and once I bought a set of Hornady New Dimension dies, I realized the difference between high quality dies and cheap dies. Don't waste your time and money on low price loading equipment unless you like returning stuff for replacement. Lee makes a great set of plastic powder measures and the hand loader for portable use is cool. Avoid the rest of their products, especially the cheaply made presses and dies.

Just out of curiosity could you please explain to me how a die “seats a bullet off center “. I don’t believe I’ve ever experienced this.
Firehunter

Postby MOOSE EARS » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:59 pm

Sure, the resizer die undersizes the entire case down to the head and then the bullet is seated and expands the case where the bullet is inserted. The bullet is supposed to be centered in the case with an equal amount of taper all the way around. You can easily see the off center position of the bullet with the Lee dies. This was on straight wall pistol cases both times it was happening. Some rounds would not fully chamber without pushing them into the cylinder. I've loaded for over 35 yrs and successfully work up loads for nearly 20 different rounds. The replacement dies for the 44mag/44spcl worked better but I just shelved them and the 500S&W dies and moved on to better quality dies. Hornady has the best dies for the money.
MOOSE EARS

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b