Reload save money

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Reload save money

Postby mossy89 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:16 pm

So I don't know anything about reloading, I've been reading a little bit and I'm curious at about how much money you save on average by reloading. I'm thinking about buying the new handbook from Hornady and maybe reading into it and buying the tools required to do it. I really don't know what I need or equipment, so all of you experienced reloaders out there, your comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
mossy89

Re: Reload save money

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:03 pm

I've been reloading for 30 years. For the equipment I've bought and the amount I shoot, I have not broken even yet. With 6 months of winter here, it has saved my sanity many times over though and it does give me the ability to experiment. If you don't get pleasure conducting scientific endeavors, then you're back to "just for the money".

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:06 pm

mossy89 wrote:So I don't know anything about reloading, I've been reading a little bit and I'm curious at about how much money you save on average by reloading.

mossy89-
A truism among reloaders is that you will save no money with reloading. Instead, you'll spend the same amount of money, or likely more, and increase the amount of shooting that you do. More bang, same bucks.

It is easy to do the calculations to find that you will have to reload several hundred rounds to save the cost of purchasing the equipment. In doing the financial calculations, you will have to decide whether your time is worth anything, and if so, how much.

mossy89 wrote:I'm thinking about buying the new handbook from Hornady and maybe reading into it . . .

Obtaining and reading the Hornady manual is a wise decision. If you are new to reloading consider one or two instructional DVDs now available. They should be excellent for beginning reloaders. I have read good things about the "RCBS Precisioneered Handloading" DVD, and the Redding DVD "Advanced Handloading: Beyond The Basics".

mossy89 wrote:I really don't know what I need or equipment, so all of you experienced reloaders out there, your comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Knowledge is needed more than equipment at the beginning of a reloading career.

The old notion of "measure twice, cut once" applies heavily in the reloading process. Begin by thinking what instruments are needed to do the measuring jobs in reloading.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:19 pm

kISS
Keep it safe and simple.
Start with a single stage press like a Rockchucker
Or one of Lees' simple, SINGLE STAGE presses.
READ READ!! RCBS makes a good Rockchucker starter kit.
Only Hornady makes 450 Bushmaster dies.
I don't reload with the intent of Saving money.
I reload to be sure my money on ammo is better spent.
I control the quality.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bushmeister » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Hoot wrote:I've been reloading for 30 years. For the equipment I've bought and the amount I shoot, I have not broken even yet. Hoot

And I believe it. You can save money if you stick to the program, but once you have the ability to reload... you start experimenting which costs money. I reloaded my first 5 boxes this year, and I fully understand the addiction.
bushmeister

Postby BayouBob » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 am

When I started reloading it really was to save money. I bought a Lee Loader in 38 Special and one in 308 Winchester. They cost $10 each as opposed to about $4 per box of cartridges for either weapon. I had a friend that cast bullets for me if I brought him the wheel weights and got a bunch of pulled military .308 dia. FMJ's. Primers were less than $1 a hundred and powder ran about $6 per pound. It took 2 or 3 hours to load a box of ammo but it was the only way I could afford to shoot. Over the years I've aquired most of the sophisticated equipment from electronic scales to progressive loaders and chronographs so I'll probably never catch up with my investment now even though the cost of just bullet, primer and powder is still less than buying factory ammo. It is a facinating hobby and you really learn a lot of things about shooting and all that goes into it. It used to be that with a little care you could turn out ammo that would out perform factory stuff but there is a lot of factory ammo out now that is superb, like the 450 Bushmaster ammo from Hornady that will shoot sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Now it is about personal satisfaction and being able to tweak just the load I want for any given weapon. By the way; the save money argument worked for years with my wife until my Dad was watching me one day and told her "He isn't saving money; he's just shooting more."
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:16 am

BayouBob wrote:...snip...By the way; the save money argument worked for years with my wife until my Dad was watching me one day and told her "He isn't saving money; he's just shooting more."

There's a squealer in every family. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby FirstNation » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Starting when i was a 13 year old kid, I loaded my first 1,200 shotgun shells with a Lee handloader before I bought my Mec 600jr. I kept a record of the number of 12 guage shells I had reloaded with that hand unit in the lid of the box, I still have that kit. My hands would get so sore hammering those spent primers out with that punch, and worth every minute of it. Looking back, handloading has had a such a huge impact in my world of firearms and my knowledge of them. As far as a beginner reloader goes, I don't think you can beat Lee's anniversary kit for @ $100 on Fleabay as a great way to start. It really has everything you'll need to get started. Get online and read some articles about safe and proper techniques of reloading, then jump in, it's really very simple. You'll never turn back.
FirstNation

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

There is a thread under the topic "Ready to start reloading...". Breakeven on cost seems to come at around 450 rounds.

Here is a post I did on the same topic:

After some research and a couple of YouTube videos, this looks like the least expensive option for a beginning reloading set up:

Lee Breechlock Challenger Press Kit:

Challenger Breech Lock single stage press
    1 Breech Lock Die Bushing
    Lee Safety Scale
    Perfect Powder Measure
    Powder Funnel
    Lock Stud and Cutter
    Lee chamfer tool
    Primer Pocket Cleaner
    Auto-Prime XR
    Set of Auto-Prime Shellholders
    Tube of Sizing Lube
    Hornady
Dies

This comes in at around $200 - all new equipement purchased on line.

In addition, the videos indicate I also may need:

Case length gauge
    Concentricty gauge
    Dial caliper

This equipment adds another $125 to the total. Are these items really needed, or is this for competion loads, where extreme accuracy is needed?

Using Hogden Lil Gun Powder (thanks to other threads on this board for loading info), Factory Bullets (Hornady FXT 250 gr) and WInchester Large Rifle Primers, I figure the breakeven point for reloading vs buying rounds (at current prices) is about 450 rounds.

One additonal suggestion I got was to go with the Classic Press from Lee. It is a bit sturdier than the Challenger; however, it does not - as far as I can determine - come in a kit. Also, the concentricity gauge and case length gauge were not considered to be necessary. Case length can be determined with the calipers, and concentricity is really a concern for accuracy in competition.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby FirstNation » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:47 pm

That Lee Breech lock Challenger kit is available for less than half that $200 you mention about anywhere on the net..... If yer really trying to be cost effective, start with the basic kit, then add other items that you feel might make your reloading life easier as you gain experience....
FirstNation

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b