300gr XTP

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

300gr XTP

Postby Dogbreath48197 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Loaded some 300gr xtp@ 2.066 C.O.L with 34.5gr of W296...should give me velocities of around 1800...ish. I'm shooting them out of my CVA stainless scout V2. Slower then the hornady but I'm tired of having issues with those bullets. Will follow this up with a range report tomorrow evening. Ohbya, fyi these bullets prime expansion is between 700-1700 fps, I should be below the 1700 past 75 yards.
Has anyone else tried this load or similar?
Thanks
Dogbreath48197

Re: 300gr XTP

Postby Bmt85 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:25 pm

I have not run that bullet, but thought I should give you some info.

Hornady's manual shows the 300gr XTP MAG hitting around 1800fps with 34.5gr of H110/W296 out of a 16" AR. I'm going to guess you will be quite a bit above that with the 25" (If I remember correctly) barrel on the CVA. That's also MAX charge. Chances are your still safe going beyond that, just work up slowly and watch everything.

Also, if you are getting 1800fps at the muzzle with that bullet, it will drop to 1700fps around 25 yds. Maybe a little further depending on what altitude your at.
Bmt85

Postby plant_one » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:21 am

be careful pushing those (non mag) XTP's.

i was inquiring about the 250 xtp (#45200) and hornady gave me a very specific warnring about the possibilitys of base deformation on firing giving the risk of a pressure event as the bullet may grip into the bore more due to such.

i'm not suggesting that its not possible, just that since we're working outside of the design element of these non-mag XTP bullets that care needs to be taken when working with them, and that there may be serious risks associated with the adventure.

I'm ugly enough as it is, i dont need any further marks to scar me up any worse! :)
plant_one

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 am

plant_one wrote:be careful pushing those (non mag) XTP's.

i was inquiring about the 250 xtp (#45200) and hornady gave me a very specific warnring about the possibilitys of base deformation on firing giving the risk of a pressure event as the bullet may grip into the bore more due to such.

i'm not suggesting that its not possible, just that since we're working outside of the design element of these non-mag XTP bullets that care needs to be taken when working with them, and that there may be serious risks associated with the adventure.

I'm ugly enough as it is, i dont need any further marks to scar me up any worse! :)

I’ve warned guys over and over again here and on the Facebook groups about this. We do NOT use the standard XTP bullets
In the 450 Bushmaster. Very dangerous practice. And to think some of those barrels are 1:16 twists, Geesh Guys. STOP IT.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Reloading for the 450b