Case lube(s)

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Case lube(s)

Postby skinner 2 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:39 pm

What are you guys using for case lube for resizing.

I've been reloading for years but only neck sized for my bolt actions. Now with the 450 BM I am full length sizing and I put another upper together in 20/223 ( 20 Practical). For this I even had to form my own brass from .223.

I was using RSCB lube and the pad rolling the casings on it. I noticed I was at time having too much lube and the casing were getting dimpled. Both the 450 and the 20/223. Much more noticeable on the 20s.

I tried a spray can or Hornady one shot. I notice the ram is not quite as smooth operating as it is with the RCBS lube. I have not had any stuck cases using either.

The One shot states dries in minutes and no side effects with the brass after... Well here is what I notice, even days after I have resized and everything said dry. I handle the casings and soon my hand is a mess. I tossed the brass back into my tumbler and the corncob sticks to what ever film is left behind. The outside looks fine and dry after tumbling but the primer pickets will be fully packed with the media. The inside of the casings will have a lot of loose media stuck, to the extent I get a bronze brush out and brush the inside to clear it out.... I have never had this issue before ....

What are you guys using and how???

Skinner
skinner 2

Re: Case lube(s)

Postby Al in Mi » Thu May 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Homemade dillon spray lube. First I tumble to get carbon off, size, barely expand, then tumble again. I sometimes wet tumble if time allows for the brass to dry.
Al in Mi

Postby Al in Mi » Thu May 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Imperial die wax does good too
Al in Mi

Postby Bmt85 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:05 pm

I use RCBS case lube, at the moment. I have a couple wildcats I'm going to start playing with, hopefully soon, so I may switch lubes if I need to. The main reason I use RCBS is because I wet tumble, and it's water soluble. It's very easy to put too much on and have issues. What I do for the 450B is, dab my finger on the pad and work it around the whole case. When doing bottleneck cartridges I hardly have any on it. I have most of my dies set for one rifle and they are set to give around .002-005 shoulder bump for my AR's. Hardly any RCBS lube is required to stay at that point. Get a little too much and it pushes the shoulder back more. You learn pretty quick just how little is needed. When you start getting wrinkles, you have WAY too much on there.
Bmt85

Postby Firehunter » Thu May 10, 2018 7:20 pm

skinner 2 wrote:What are you guys using for case lube for resizing.

I've been reloading for years but only neck sized for my bolt actions. Now with the 450 BM I am full length sizing and I put another upper together in 20/223 ( 20 Practical). For this I even had to form my own brass from .223.

I was using RSCB lube and the pad rolling the casings on it. I noticed I was at time having too much lube and the casing were getting dimpled. Both the 450 and the 20/223. Much more noticeable on the 20s.

I tried a spray can or Hornady one shot. I notice the ram is not quite as smooth operating as it is with the RCBS lube. I have not had any stuck cases using either.

The One shot states dries in minutes and no side effects with the brass after... Well here is what I notice, even days after I have resized and everything said dry. I handle the casings and soon my hand is a mess. I tossed the brass back into my tumbler and the corncob sticks to what ever film is left behind. The outside looks fine and dry after tumbling but the primer pickets will be fully packed with the media. The inside of the casings will have a lot of loose media stuck, to the extent I get a bronze brush out and brush the inside to clear it out.... I have never had this issue before ....

What are you guys using and how???

Skinner

Use less lube. I only put a couple of drops of RCBS lube on my pad and haven't had a problem.
Firehunter

Postby Hoot » Thu May 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Al in Mi wrote:Imperial die wax does good too

+1
The only thing I'll use! Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Gutpile » Thu May 10, 2018 8:53 pm

3 ounces of pure lanolin in a red bottle of gas line antifreeze (automotive) put in a spray bottle with a bullet or nut for an agitator. (Copies dillion spray)
Used for 25 years plus
Gutpile

Postby plant_one » Thu May 10, 2018 10:58 pm

hornady one shot.

spray liberally, shake in a plastic shoebox (one of those 88 cent walmart specials), spray again, let dry 100% and go to town.

i get thousands of cases per can of the stuff, and its nearly impossible to overdo it and end up with hydrauliced shoulders or any of the other lube buildup issues.

the only thing i use lanolin for these days is running bullets through a sizing die for my blackout (i resize .310 123gr SST bullets for it)
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Fri May 11, 2018 4:09 am

Speaking of resizing bullets, Midway has Lee resizing dies on sale. If I wasn't watching my money right now, I'd get the .457, .454 and .451 dies, for taking .458's down to .451 The only one I already have is the .452. I was kinda attracted to the looks of those Nosler 350gr that were on sale a short while back. The Hornady .325 FTX shoot pretty good with 1680. Life prevails however and we decided to increase our student loan monthly payment to get it paid off before I retire by 2021 (hopefully). That all but killed the disposable income left over each month. That and needing to get a new HVAC system later this month. Our 31 year old Lennox unit is on life support. ;) Ka-Ching!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Fri May 11, 2018 9:18 am

ouch :( sorry to hear about the HVAC
plant_one

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b