Sierra 8830 300gr

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Sierra 8830 300gr

Postby rahl07 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:28 am

Hey guys, looking to reload a pig stomper for 150yd and in.

I've got it in my head that a Sierra 8830 over Lil'gun would be the ticket. I don't think there's necessarily a wrong choice of bullet in .450BM, but I'd like your input. Anybody done this?

I've also looked at the 275 TSX, but don't have much in the way of load data to back it up.

Also - it's coming out of a Ruger GSR so adjust loads appropriately.
rahl07
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:47 pm

Re: Sierra 8830 300gr

Postby Hoot » Sun May 13, 2018 6:54 am

rahl07 wrote:Hey guys, looking to reload a pig stomper for 150yd and in.

I've got it in my head that a Sierra 8830 over Lil'gun would be the ticket. I don't think there's necessarily a wrong choice of bullet in .450BM, but I'd like your input. Anybody done this?

I've also looked at the 275 TSX, but don't have much in the way of load data to back it up.

Also - it's coming out of a Ruger GSR so adjust loads appropriately.


For me, bullets above 275gr is the turning point where I stop using Lil Gun and go with a slower powder like W296/H110/300MP. Hornady doesn't even use Lil Gun for its 250gr factory loads. As always, use a proven performing hot primer like the Rem 7 1/2.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Sierra 8830 300gr

Postby Bmt85 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:38 pm

I would personally use slower powders than Lilgun on most bullets, if I was loading for a Ruger bolt gun that has a 1:16 twist. Hoot gave some good suggestions. You could also look into 4198 for both the bullets you mentioned. For the 300gr, you could even try 1680 or something similar like Shooters World Blackout, or CFE BLK. The heavy twist rate might be enough to get those powders burning efficiently. Shooters World also offers a couple other powders that should be in the range of powders I mentioned.
Bmt85
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 11:13 am
Location: S.E. Michigan

Re: Sierra 8830 300gr

Postby cwlongshot » Wed May 16, 2018 5:54 am

I have used that bullet in 45 Colt loads and 454 loads on deer and pigs. Its a good tough bullet! I have never recovered one! The 454 showed better expansion, so I'll bet its in the 450 wheel house if not pushed to max vel.

Was always very accurate! Was too long seated to cannalure for revolvers, coarse this is a non issue in Ruger 450's may or may/not be in a AR for mag limitations.

Good luck!

CW
cwlongshot
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:48 am

Re: Sierra 8830 300gr

Postby Hoot » Wed May 16, 2018 7:37 am

cwlongshot wrote:I have used that bullet in 45 Colt loads and 454 loads on deer and pigs. Its a good tough bullet! I have never recovered one! The 454 showed better expansion, so I'll bet its in the 450 wheel house if not pushed to max vel.

Was always very accurate! Was too long seated to cannalure for revolvers, coarse this is a non issue in Ruger 450's may or may/not be in a AR for mag limitations.

Good luck!

CW


Could you send me one for my 450b reference bullet collection? I can PayPal you the postage.

TIA

Hoot

PS: The 275 Barnes XPB run really well. I have loaded them.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Sierra 8830 300gr

Postby cwlongshot » Wed May 16, 2018 11:05 am

Hoot wrote:
cwlongshot wrote:I have used that bullet in 45 Colt loads and 454 loads on deer and pigs. Its a good tough bullet! I have never recovered one! The 454 showed better expansion, so I'll bet its in the 450 wheel house if not pushed to max vel.

Was always very accurate! Was too long seated to cannalure for revolvers, coarse this is a non issue in Ruger 450's may or may/not be in a AR for mag limitations.

Good luck!

CW


Could you send me one for my 450b reference bullet collection? I can PayPal you the postage.

TIA

Hoot

PS: The 275 Barnes XPB run really well. I have loaded them.


Hoot, your looking for one single Sierra 8830 300g 45cal bullet?

Send me an address and I'll have momma send it out to ya.

CW
cwlongshot
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:48 am

Re: Sierra 8830 300gr

Postby Hoot » Wed May 16, 2018 11:09 am

cwlongshot wrote:[
Hoot, your looking for one single Sierra 8830 300g 45cal bullet?

Send me an address and I'll have momma send it out to ya.

CW


Yes, just one. I'll PM my address

Thanks,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Sierra 8830 300gr

Postby Al in Mi » Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 pm

if I recall right from my 454 days, those had a harder core I believe
Al in Mi
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Sierra 8830 300gr

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed May 16, 2018 12:21 pm

Hoot wrote:
cwlongshot wrote:[
Hoot, your looking for one single Sierra 8830 300g 45cal bullet?

Send me an address and I'll have momma send it out to ya.

CW


Yes, just one. I'll PM my address

Thanks,

Hoot


Hoot, Please Send me a picture with specs when you get it Hoot.
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

Re: Sierra 8830 300gr

Postby rahl07 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:16 pm

Thanks for all the info everyone. I've got 2k Rem 7 1/2's and H110 is at the local sporting goods store all the time. Good to know.

Any suggestions for the Barnes bullet as well? I'm having difficulty searching the forums.
rahl07
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:47 pm

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests