Sierra 8830 300gr

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Sierra 8830 300gr

Postby Hoot » Tue May 22, 2018 8:32 pm

Dawg, I got the example bullet out of the mail box today, but I'm beat from weed whacking where the mower won't reach. It's quite imposing with that flat, exposed lead nose. Looks like it would do a number on soft tissue hits, but not sure if it will hold together on a shoulder shot at our velocities. More to follow.

rahl07, look for some Lil Gun if you decide to try the Barnes 200gr. Remember, the 450b will hurl a 200gr bullet as fast if not faster than factory ammo using a 200gr bullet in a .30-06. No one doubts the killing power of a .30-06 using a 200gr bullet and neither should you doubt the 450b hurling the same weight bullet. It will probably work with the 275 as well, but that's kinda in a transition zone toward H110. If you get some Lil Gun to try the Barnes 200, try both powders with the 275 and see which your rifle likes. Start Low and work your way up as there is no recipe that works for all rigs, other than a really light load and that's not getting all the performance you can out of them. That's the joy of reloading. Image As for a starting point with the 275, go with 36gr H110. Should leave you room to grow the charge safely upward. Ditto on a starting load for the Sierra 8830, since cup and core bullets are softer than monolithic copper.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Wed May 23, 2018 6:27 pm

Another day, another dollar and here is the skinny:

Average Length: .810 inch
Average Diameter: .4515
COL to taper crimp into cannelure: 2.10 inch
COL into Lands: 2.28 inch

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu May 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Hoot wrote:Another day, another dollar and here is the skinny:

Average Length: .810 inch
Average Diameter: .4515
COL to taper crimp into cannelure: 2.10 inch
COL into Lands: 2.28 inch

Hoot

That’s gonna be a freight train.
I used some of those in the .357 caliber.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby cwlongshot » Fri May 25, 2018 6:35 pm

It is a tougher bullet than the Speer with the copper washed jacket and soft lead core.

BUT that bullet has shot end to end in two whitetails from
My 45 Colt marlin at about 1400 ish fps.

I took one 210# Bear with that Sierra bullet and have no bullet
To show for it. Broke onside leg penetrated chest cavity and exited. The hole was about a large nickel.

I agree the 450 Bushmaster will likely our pace it. But i wouldn't worry allot till I was approacking 18-1900 Fps. Even then, might be fine if large bones where avoided.

I am anxious to target large bones with my 295g Green Bullets.

Hoot If I can find enough, would you like to test some? (Ill send more)

CW
cwlongshot

Postby plant_one » Sat May 26, 2018 7:40 am

that bullet looks meaner than two wildcats with their tails tied together.
plant_one

Postby Radioactiveman » Sat May 26, 2018 9:09 am

I am kinda glad that "finally" someone else is also considering the Sierra 8830 JSP for the 450BM. The description for that particular bullet by sierra did sound pretty good for my purpose which is also a hardhitting bullet for hogs/wild boars. Quoting the website it's their toughest bullet designed for the highest velocities in handguns.
Also the availabilty here in europe was good which is not very common and a major factor for me to try these rounds.
Because there was hardly any information about it's use in a 450bm i was already wondering if there is an obvious deficiency with this bullet i may have missed.

I already made some loads with a powder very similar to AA1680, called Lovex D063. (AFAIK some time ago AA1680 was entirely produced by "Explosia" in Czech and they also sold it in Europe under their own label "Lovex". Now the trademark AA seems to be overtaken by anther company and they decline any relationship to Explosia.)
But QuickLoad finds these two powders to be very alike and after some testing i consider them to be almost identical with maybe only little tolerances that could also occur between different batches of the same powder.

Long story short, i had good results shooting the Sierra 8830 from my RAR with the following load:
41gn D063; COL 52,65mm = 2.07 inch, Remington 7 1/2 and a Taper Crimp in unfired Hornady brass.
Shoots MOA (within 30mm on 100m).

According to Quickload it may be slightly "overpressured", but quickload struggles with straight-walled cartridges and unfortunately i have no chronometer to confirm yet. There were no pressure signs but there is no doubt it is a hot load.

BUT i had severe feeding issues with this round. The bullet jams and the lead-nose is dented on some heel in the chamber. It also occurs with the Barnes TSX. That problem is currently examined at the dealer/gunsmith and so i could never use it on the hunt and therefor have no experience how it works on game.
I will post about that whole feeding problem in another thread.
posted by a non-native English speaker

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
Radioactiveman

Postby plant_one » Sat May 26, 2018 9:42 am

do63 is just a little bit hotter than 1680, so if you're using 1680 data, max loads - or near max - may be right at max for that powder.

do you have DO-63.1 or DO-63.2?
plant_one

Postby Radioactiveman » Sat May 26, 2018 11:32 am

plant_one wrote:do63 is just a little bit hotter than 1680, so if you're using 1680 data, max loads - or near max - may be right at max for that powder.

do you have DO-63.1 or DO-63.2?

It's merely Lovex D063 (written with 0/zero not an "O"), no appendix.
like this: http://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/proddetai ... &cat=57000
posted by a non-native English speaker

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
Radioactiveman

Postby Hoot » Sat May 26, 2018 2:02 pm

cwlongshot wrote:It is a tougher bullet than the Speer with the copper washed jacket and soft lead core.

BUT that bullet has shot end to end in two whitetails from
My 45 Colt marlin at about 1400 ish fps.

I took one 210# Bear with that Sierra bullet and have no bullet
To show for it. Broke onside leg penetrated chest cavity and exited. The hole was about a large nickel.

I agree the 450 Bushmaster will likely our pace it. But i wouldn't worry allot till I was approacking 18-1900 Fps. Even then, might be fine if large bones where avoided.

I am anxious to target large bones with my 295g Green Bullets.

Hoot If I can find enough, would you like to test some? (Ill send more)

CW

That's pretty darn generous of you C-Dub. I just drug arse in from 4 1/2 hours on the rifle range and I can assure you that 300 grainers easily clock 1900 and up to 2200 without my survival instincts screaming at me. A few years back I did a Range Report here on the expansion performance of the Barnes 200gr XPB bullet, shot into the "poor man's" ballistic gel. AKA milk jugs full of water, lined up in a row. To simulate range, I loaded light charges with a toilet paler single ply disk and grits to make up the distance to the bullet. Worked just like downtown! What I found was that as I slowed the all copper hollow point down, it penetrated more jugs of water and of course, expanded less and less. I wonder if you penetration results on the deer, which is still amazing, was due to those bullet only clocking along, starting at 1400fps at the muzzle? That is to say, if they were traveling a lot faster, perhaps they would have expanded more, creating a sea anchor effect and not going so far through the media. Just speculating...

I'm burned out right now from the heat. Being used to the mild MN weather and carrying more waist sizes than I should, allows heat to wear me down. Gonna see if the lazyboy and a fan can revive me in an hour or so. ;)

I've got 12) 5-shot groups to put into a spreadsheet and get images of, put up here, once I snap back and not a purdy one in the whole bunch. :(

Hoot
Hoot

Postby cwlongshot » Sun May 27, 2018 6:03 am

Ill see what I have today.

BTW. The quoted penetration on deer was with the SPEER PLATES SP 300g bullet. NOT the Sierra.

The Bear was the Sierra. But itbwas also at 1150 ish from my 7.5” Blackhawk. The sierra is too long for my Marlins actions.

CW
cwlongshot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b