Questions on reloading the 450 BM

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Questions on reloading the 450 BM

Postby CJP1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:08 pm

I own a RAR bolt action rifle. I recently purchased the Barnes 200gr and 275gr XPB bullets as well as the Hornady 240gr XTP Mag bullets. Looking at these bullets I'm wondering if I should crimp these bullets under the driving band groove and under the cannelure? I was thinking that would be a way of getting bullets closer to rifling. Or should I go for better ignition and use the cannelure/driving band groove? I plan on using only the Hornady taper crimp. If you think that I should use the cannelure/driving band groove, what is the best orientation of the case mouth to the cannelure/driving band groove? Top, bottom or middle of cannelure?
Since my rifle has a 1 in 16 twist, will there be more pressure built up in my rifle than in a rifle with a slower twist rate like the ones listed in reloading info that I have seen. If that is the case, should I back off my starting loads from what is listed for the slower twist rates? Will there be added pressure built up because of the solid Barnes bullets?
Reloading the 450BM is a total head scratcher sometimes. I know that you are a wealth of knowledge here on this forum so I have come to learn from the best. Thanks for your help with my questions.
CJP1

Re: Questions on reloading the 450 BM

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:10 pm

I have no experience with loading 450B for the RAR. You will get increased pressures compared to what is published, however, the RAR’s seem to be pretty strong, so I wouldn’t worry too much about blowing the gun up. You should crazy pressure signs before that happens. With that said, you are still going to have to watch for the usual pressure signs, and watch your case head growth. I have seen some pretty crazy loads posted for the RAR, so be careful. Also I wouldn’t stray too far from minimum loads when following published load data. If you load longer, then I would add a little powder to compensate. Not much though.

If I was loading for a RAR using the 200xpb, I would use published data. I would start with Lilgun, but maybe switch to 296. With the 275 Barnes, I would load it out longer. So just get into the second driving band with the taper crimp. I’ll have to check my numbers for what I started my AR’s at to give you an idea, not home at the moment. Might be a good idea to run 296 for this one, 4198 might do good, too. I know some run Lilgun, but I have a feeling it’s a bit fast for this setup. The 240, I couldn’t tell you, never ran it. With the RAR you might not have to stab crimp, but you could experiment.

So, that’s my opinion.
Bmt85

Re: Questions on reloading the 450 BM

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:08 am

I run the 275gr Barnes 2.410ish oal in my Apache barreled 700 bolt gun and Ruger #1 with a good dose of 300MP, been very accurate.
Al in Mi

Return to Reloading for the 450b