Muzzle velocity for Barnes 275gr XPB

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Muzzle velocity for Barnes 275gr XPB

Postby CJP1 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:04 pm

I saw somewhere that the 275gr XPB bullets need 1400 FPS to expand in soft tissue. If that is the case, what should the muzzle velocity be if shooting out to 200 yds? Thanks for any insight that you might have.
CJP1

Re: Muzzle velocity for Barnes 275gr XPB

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Depends on elevation and temp when shooting, but looks like roughly 2000-2100fps. With your Ruger, it should be easy enough to hit. Maybe try W296/H110 for it.
The Barnes 275 TSX only needs 1200fps. Also, I don't know about the XPB since I haven't played with them, but the TSX opens FAST!
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:36 pm

The 275 XPB is identical to the 200 XPB on the front end. Its just longer on the back end. Weighing more, the 275 will bleed off velocity slower even though it starts out slower due to its extra weight. Drifts a little less in the wind too. If an XPB at 1500 fps doesn't expand much in jugs of water, the 275 at 1500 fps will not either. Experimenting with Barnes bullets is never a cheap endeavor. My PITA LabRadar does one thing very well with these fat bullets. It tracks their velocity accurately until they hit the target board at 100 yds. I am planning an outing for this weekend to retest the 200 XPB over Lil Gun since things seem to have changed since I did my first experimenting with them. I don't have many 275's left so I might as well use them up since I'll never be hunting with them anyway. I can get some 100 yd velocity captures and from that, we can work the results backwards to an actual BC. That should give you a good idea how far beyond 100 yds you can go with them starting at a particular muzzle velocity and still expect them to expand. It goes without saying that a deer or hog is a lot different than jugs of water. If you catch ribs, shoulders, cartilage plate, etc on the way in, they will expand a lot more at less velocity.

Hopefully the weather cooperates like it did last Saturday morning. Too bad I spent 3 hours of it helping an 85yr old club member work out issues with his neglected pre-64 Model 70. Being a considerate troubleshooter at heart has its downside. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby CJP1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks for your replies. A special thanks to you Hoot, for all the work that you do to help whoever needs it. I'll keep digging as I wait for answers from your time at the range Hoot.
CJP1

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:20 am

CJP1 wrote:Thanks for your replies. A special thanks to you Hoot, for all the work that you do to help whoever needs it. I'll keep digging as I wait for answers from your time at the range Hoot.

It appears that Mother Nature may have other plans for me Saturday. Maybe Sunday. :|

not good wx forecast.jpg
not good wx forecast.jpg (32.87 KiB) Viewed 11915 times

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:50 am

Hoot wrote:
It appears that Mother Nature may have other plans for me Saturday. Maybe Sunday. :|

Hoot

Not! She's as unpredictable as my better half. ;)

Got a reprieve until later today. Will be revisiting the 200 ad 275 XPB's this morning. Still have one report in the mill. I'm baching it this weekend, so hope to get both last week's and today's Range Reports up before the weekend ends.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Gifters » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:30 pm

How did the revisit go?
Gifters

Return to Reloading for the 450b