Cleaning copper from your bore

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Cleaning copper from your bore

Postby CJP1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:08 pm

Since I'll be shooting Barnes solid copper bullets for the first time, I was wondering what works the best on copper fouling. Thanks for your help in advance.
CJP1

Re: Cleaning copper from your bore

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:00 pm

I use montana extreme, couple of patches and good to go
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:13 am

Hoot recommends KG-12

It really works, fast too!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby cwlongshot » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:34 am

SWEETS 762 is all I use these days...

I like Butches Bore Brite allot, but for copper, Sweets is my go too.

I wish they would make a gel or foam. IMHO the ability to keep the product in contact longer/more consistently produces best results.

One extreme case, I plugged the bore and filled it with sweets. Let it sit for ten minutes and it came clean for me. Most times alternating wet patches and wet brushes get it clean.

One tip, have brake or parts cleaner handy. and clean the brushes out with it. The solvents will eat your brushes fast otherwise!

CW
cwlongshot

Postby CJP1 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks for the recommendations for the copper cleaners. After some research, I settled on the KG-12 as it doesn't have the ammonia smell.
CJP1

Postby Hoot » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:38 pm

CJP1 wrote:Thanks for the recommendations for the copper cleaners. After some research, I settled on the KG-12 as it doesn't have the ammonia smell.

Thoroughly clean your bore like you normally do and then dry patch it out. Run 2-3 wet patches of KG-12 with a minute or two pause between each one. Work the patch both ways. Dry patch out the KG-12 and then apply whatever storage lube you use. I store mine whetted with Kroil, but this time of the year, it rarely sits for more than a week. If you're storing for any length of time, its hard to beat Eezox. That's what I patch it with over the winter.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b