reloading ruger american ranch

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

reloading ruger american ranch

Postby gmstack » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:41 am

I read somewhere that loading for these bolt action rifles you can go with a longer COL as long as loaded cartridge fits in magazine and will work through action. True or False ???
gmstack

Re: reloading ruger american ranch

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:10 am

Yeah, last weekend with buddys RAR I was running 275gr Barnes 2.410 OAL, fed like butter.
Al in Mi

Re: reloading ruger american ranch

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:08 pm

gmstack wrote:I read somewhere that loading for these bolt action rifles you can go with a longer COL as long as loaded cartridge fits in magazine and will work through action. True or False ???

Try to keep a minimum of 1/2 caliber seating depth. Ideally 1 caliber but some bullets are too darn short to do that. The 275's, lacking lead are longer for their weight than a cup and core bullet so it shouldn't be a problem. If you wind up in the lands, so much the better. Free neck tension. ;) The only bullet i've seen do that is Hornady 300gr XTP Mags. In my chamber they hit the lands at 2.20 COL (overall is 1 word).

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b