Hornady Monoflex ML

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Hornady Monoflex ML

Postby MRRJF » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:10 am

I just found this bullet today and it has me very interested! Has anyone tried them? Certainly, looking like it would be one fantastic hunting bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31INBpb_vE
Last edited by MRRJF on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRRJF

Re: Hornady Monoflex ML

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:32 am

MRRJF wrote:I just found this bullet today and it has me very interested! Has anyone tried there? Looking like would be one fantastic hunting bullet.

no hair test but I have shot them in my 700 450B bolt gun and a 460 S&W MGM Encore barrel, were just as accurate as the 250gr FTX for me.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:58 pm

I missed sales on them twice. One time got an email from Midway because I was on their notify list. I was like 15 minutes from a computer and by the time I went to the site they were already gone! So, I am still on the notify list, but its been a long time. My guess is that since they got wise to too many customers waiting for the "Factory Seconds" or "Blemished" sales, that those days are behind us. I remember getting 200 FTX, 225 FTX and 250 FTX, 240 and 300 XTP Mag blems for $12-16.00 a box of 50 and sometimes a box of 100, not very long ago. Maybe when they start up production for the upcoming hunting season, we'll see some more. The Monoflex bullets are one of the few I have yet to test. I sometimes feel that my active testing days are behind me as well due to so many different platforms available now. What turns out to be a pet load in one platform, is rarely the same in another. There was about 6 years where everybody had the same platform, then the word got out.

I hope to some day test the Monoflex bullets, for my own curiosity if nothing else.

allcopper250ftx.jpg
allcopper250ftx.jpg (118.82 KiB) Viewed 10895 times

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby MRRJF » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:07 pm

Al in Mi wrote:
MRRJF wrote:I just found this bullet today and it has me very interested! Has anyone tried there? Looking like would be one fantastic hunting bullet.

no hair test but I have shot them in my 700 450B bolt gun and a 460 S&W MGM Encore barrel, were just as accurate as the 250gr FTX for me.

This is what I suspected and yet from what I have read a much tougher bullet.
MRRJF

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:53 pm

MRRJF wrote:

Based upon how the Barnes XPB and later their TSX in this caliber perform, that's a safe bet. If you pushed a ballistic tip into the Barnes hollow points, you'd have a similar profile. FWIW, Midway has the Barnes 275 TSX on sale for $.81 each. Not nearly as lucrative as those blems from American Reloading a month or two ago. :shock:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:04 am

I wish Hornady would offer that bullet as a factory load and as a reloading component :evil:

I've shot the blue tipped TSX Barnes ML bullets on paper with similar results from those guns too. They are a lil pricey in those blister packs, but as Hoot noted, hard to beat and pass on those proven 275gr TSX when they are on sale.
Al in Mi

Postby MRRJF » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:39 pm

Hoot wrote:
MRRJF wrote:

Based upon how the Barnes XPB and later their TSX in this caliber perform, that's a safe bet. If you pushed a ballistic tip into the Barnes hollow points, you'd have a similar profile. FWIW, Midway has the Barnes 275 TSX on sale for $.81 each. Not nearly as lucrative as those blems from American Reloading a month or two ago. :shock:

Hoot

Thanks Hoot, but they do not ship to Canada.
MRRJF

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:54 am

Cabela's will have sales on Barnes and or offer free shipping from time to time here in the states, not sure if their Canadian side does the same, but might be worth looking into.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:32 am

Hoot wrote:
...snip... FWIW, Midway has the Barnes 275 TSX on sale for $.81 each... snip...

Hoot

Now $.74 each

Hoot
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b