Recommendations for 225 FTX

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Recommendations for 225 FTX

Postby plant_one » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:27 am

if you want to help break in your upper before you get it out to shoot it, its a relatively simple process

step 1: disassemble & clean the upper receiver and the BCG of all lube. use something like birchwood's Gun scrubber. or Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner (like from the auto parts store).

Step 2: reassemble your upper - WITHOUT ANY LUBE AT ALL. you want it bone dry. then put your upper back onto its lower.

step 3: pull the charging handle back and release it like if you were loading a round. No mag, etc.. this is a while the gun is empty process.

Step 4: repeat step 3 - 200 times.

step 5: disassemble, give everything a quick once over with your favorite gun cleaner to remove any schmoo (yes thats a technical term! :mrgreen: ) created during the wear in and then lube everything properly and reassemble

by manually cycling the action this way with no lube,it just smooths out the mating surfaces where the BCG and the upper receiver make contact during operation.

you're essentially lapping the surfaces just like would happen when under recoil - just knocking off any possible burrs, chatter marks, etc - without having to waste any ammo.

HTH
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:31 am

I have read of some people accelerating the "lapping" of mating parts by lubing everything up with some JB compound thinned out with Kroil and then dry cycling it. The down side to that process is needing to thoroughly clean all that JB slurry out of every crack and crevice when you're done.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 45r » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:57 pm

I got sub moa with the 38 grains lil gun from my tromix barrel.
Best 3 shot groups were half inch at 100 yards.
Rem primers seated to 2.12.
I do the side crimp and taper crimp next with the 225's.
40 grains lil gun shot around 3/4 inch.
45r

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b