Too much time on their hands

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Too much time on their hands

Postby Tag Soup » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:44 pm

I’ve been reading up on various threads discussing holding on to the upper before the steam really builds up and was wondering if it would help if one would chuck up the projectile in a lathe and cut some grooves or barbs to give the case something to hold onto... it’s probably the same as a canelure on the bullet, but wondered what else could be done to help hold on to it without adding a chemical bond... (I’d link to it, but that’s too hard to do on my cell phone)
Tag Soup

Re: Too much time on their hands

Postby Hoot » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Corbin sells a pretty swanky canneluring tool. I was impressed with the video of it in action. Google corbin cannelure.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Too much time on their hands

Postby plant_one » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:06 am

it would really only work on the lathe if you use a solid copper projectile most likely.

the jackets arent real thick on most of these bullets, and if you start shaving material off you're likely to cut thru - or at the very least weaken the integrity of the jacket and possibly affect terminal performance at impact.

as noted you can get cannelure tools that will give you the grooves you're looking for, and those as i understand only move metal around, not remove anything.
plant_one

Return to Reloading for the 450b