Barnes 250 HP solid copper...

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Barnes 250 HP solid copper...

Postby cwlongshot » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:06 am

I "found" 80 pcs on the shelf last night. I guess I did not like the small 20 rnd boxes and switched them to one box... Only when I opened expecting to find 250G XTP 45's... I found copper!!

I remember buying these couple years ago up in Maine at Cabelas... clearance 9.99 a box!

Now wanna maybe see about shooting them in the 450. (I have two boxes of 275 HP's too but find loads for them.)

Anyone used them?

CW
cwlongshot

Re: Barnes 250 HP solid copper...

Postby cwlongshot » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:55 am

Used a light but accurate load of 33g lil gun.

CW
cwlongshot

Postby Hoot » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:57 pm

Those gaping mouths look like they were designed for low velocity handgun applications. A lot different than their spire point all copper hollow point XPB and TSX in .451.

Those "big gulps" look like they would be applicable for longer shots, where the low BCs of this caliber, bleed off speed like a shuttle cock. I have a LabRadar chrony that records the velocity all the way out to 100 yds. I have the recordings still in my SD card where 450b rounds leaving the muzzle at 2350 are down to 1750-1800 by the time they hit the target boards at 100 yds. By contrast, I was shooting some high BC bullets in my 6mm Rem and 260 Rem rifles last Saturday. They dropped from about 3680 to 3610 fps at 100 yds.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:35 am

years ago I shot them from the smokeless ML around 2400fps, took few does from 40-130yds, most all were pass thrus with a lot of damage, might have one around here from a frontal shot. Typ Barnes meat grinders they are.

I think Barnes added a blue tip and labeled them as the TMZ which I have shot a bunch from the 460 Encore with good accuracy.
Al in Mi

Postby Firehunter » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:46 am

Federal used to put that bullet in a 12 gauge slug load. It's a 1 oz slug. The box list the muzzle velocity at 1530 fps. When they discontinued it, I stocked up. It is absolutely devastating on deer. I have a box of the 250gr bullets that I use in my muzzleloader, they shoot great and once again are devastating on deer. My muzzleloader is shooting them 1900-2000 fps. I’ve been considering trying these in my 450. Keep us posted on how they do for you.
Attachments
IMG_4265.JPG
IMG_4265.JPG (114.99 KiB) Viewed 12250 times
Firehunter

Postby Hoot » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Referencing previous post, I moved another image off of Google Drive. That feature might be a great place to park images for safe keeping but good luck sharing them. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby cwlongshot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:03 am

I know all about those pointy buggers Hoot!

But as stated, I FOUND that I already owned these and WHY NOT try them? NOT everything is done at "range" ya know! :P :mrgreen: Its not a requirement, The pointiness, I mean. The 450 can shoot a wide range of 45 pistol bullets with great aplomb!

For instance, I happen to also have a sleeve of 230 XTP bullets for the 45 acp... I loaded some fifty up with 4227 and we shot tem all up yesterday. They drop about 1-1.25" at 100 but only shoot a lil low @ 50. But they shoot very well at about 1". I wouldn't hesitate slippin one is a woodchuck grinner or Coyote. I probably wouldn't shoot a deer unless I had to, then I would probably take a head shot as they shoot well enough for this inside 50/75 yards. But that's not what I loaded them for, I loaded them to go boom and poke holes in paper.

I shot the ash trays this weekend... know what? I was rewarded with a 5 shot 1" group @ 100 yards and a three shot cloverleaf at 50! Recoil was moderate and no site adjustment was needed. (they did hit a lil lower but not L or R.)

Ill load the remainder of these up and stick them on the shelf. They will flatten anything I need to shoot them with inside 100 ish yards. I wont give one single thought to the "unpointy" ness of them when I load them up. :)

One thing I didn't like and its the lil gun powder was the infinitesimal delay in ignition. Its yet another idiosyncrasy of the lil gun powder and another reason that I don't like using it. Luckily I also had some 1680 loaded with 250g bullets that fired normally and exhibited same accuracy. I didn't bring the chrony as it was a rainy day forcast. (Nope didn't rain a drop.)

CW
cwlongshot

Postby Hoot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:35 am

cwlongshot wrote:...snip...
One thing I didn't like and its the lil gun powder was the infinitesimal delay in ignition. Its yet another idiosyncrasy of the lil gun powder and another reason that I don't like using it. Luckily I also had some 1680 loaded with 250g bullets that fired normally and exhibited same accuracy. I didn't bring the chrony as it was a rainy day forcast. (Nope didn't rain a drop.)

CW

I gotta say that is atypical of my experience with Lil Gun. The stuff ignites at the wink of an eye. Any chance you have a tainted bottle?

I do know that if I don't taper or stab crimp the Barnes I've used, down into one of the grooves, or use light primers, they can jump out of the case and the powder doesn't turn on until they jam up against the rifling. The sensation is like a muzzle loader. Not pronounced but detectable delay in the ka-boom. That having been said, that experience was with lighter bullets that start moving quicker. I'd expect the 250gr Barnes to behave like the Factory 250gr FTX and they go ka-boom instantaneously, without any discernible crimp, using Lil Gun and Rem 7 1/2 primers.

Most peculiar....

Hoot
Hoot

Postby cwlongshot » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:16 am

I don't like the stuff... haven't for some time. Yea I know all about its traits... I did say I don't like it. :)

I'm prepping more cases now and I'll use more 5744 and 1680 as both works well. Pretty much done with it now.

I taper crimp.

Tried 400's, 450's, 41's and Match Remingrons for primers. No real differences...

It was like shooting a dirty Flint rifle... very slight delay, Tick-BOOM...
cwlongshot

Postby plant_one » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:38 am

do the primer strikes look good? wonder if you're not getting soft strikes causing poor ignition back there.

just thinking out loud :)

ive got a pile of those same flying ashtrays in the 200gr version i picked up for plinkers as blems. glad to hear you're having good results with them, hopefully i can get mine tested out before i run out of summer.
plant_one

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b