Barnes 250 HP solid copper...

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Barnes 250 HP solid copper...

Postby cwlongshot » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:16 am

I was Looking at them last night while sorting cases... Thought I was on to something but those where CCI400 primers in the light trail boss loads, I had also shot.

All primers (accept the TB loads) had same primer appearances. Across the board really, 41's 450's where indiscernible, the 7 1/2 Match where lil different but appeared to be all same depth's. Also NONE of the loads are near pressure limits, yet.

CW
cwlongshot

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:21 am

back in the beginning with 250gr FTX bullets and Lilgun, I had those slight delay hangfires with low doses of Lilgun. Can't recall the exact charge, but was under 35gr.

Since then I pretty much load things full throttle no matter what the bullet weight.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:28 pm

Al in Mi wrote:back in the beginning with 250gr FTX bullets and Lilgun, I had those slight delay hangfires with low doses of Lilgun. Can't recall the exact charge, but was under 35gr.

Since then I pretty much load things full throttle no matter what the bullet weight.

Thanks Al. I didn't want to be the first person to say that. I wasn't totally sure I recalled it correctly and didn't want to put it out there without corroboration. I know from working with lightly charged, light bullets (<200gr) which jumped out too easily, some times the powder would not ignite at all, leaving a mess when the action was opened. I'm sure that carries over proportionally in heavier bullets. IE just a delay vs not taking off at all. Neck tension, case fill and primer brilance <sp> factor in.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby cwlongshot » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:17 am

While I am not questioning proper neck tension because anyone that knows anything knows Neck tension is 80% of a accurate loading...

BUT... Of the 5-6 loads I had that day the single loading that caused these or any problems was the LIL GUN loads... ALL where loaded on same equipment on same dies in same press by same person. :)

Eyes wide open, I have had issues with Lil gun before. This "problem" slipped my mind when I pulled the can out of the powder magazine...

I think I'll dump the remainder on the can next time I cut the grass...

CW
cwlongshot

Postby plant_one » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:06 am

i was gonna say... if you pulled out a can you had shelved in the past for it...

maybe try a different container/lot number of it and see if you get different results
plant_one

Postby cwlongshot » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:11 am

plant_one wrote:i was gonna say... if you pulled out a can you had shelved in the past for it...

maybe try a different container/lot number of it and see if you get different results
Thanks Plant... Nope haven't liked the powder for many years.

This merely sealed the deal. :) PLENTY of good choices that aint dangerous. :D

CW
cwlongshot

Postby Gutpile » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:37 am

Folks,
I have used these and the 300 grain version in a Savage ML10 smokeless ML
250 @2300+ 300@ 2100+
NEVER recovered one from deer. 20 feet to 356 yards
This is why I built a 450 to begin with by duplicating my smokeless smokepole ballistics.
And/Or using one bullet for both
Gutpile

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b