Alternate sizing

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Alternate sizing

Postby Hubcap52 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:10 am

Have any of y'all tried any alternate methods for sizing brass to increase bullet pull?

I was thinking about it and thought I'd try using other dies to size the case smaller to get a better grip on the bullet. I partially sized a case (about .5") with a .308 Win. die, used a Lee Universal Neck Flaring Die to facilitate seating without using the normal expanding die, which would negate the process. When the bullet (230 gr. Hdy. JRN) is seated, the case is slightly wasp-waisted. I haven't taken them to the range yet, but hopeful the plan works.

What are your thoughts?
Hubcap52

Re: Alternate sizing

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Hubcap52 wrote:Have any of y'all tried any alternate methods for sizing brass to increase bullet pull?

I was thinking about it and thought I'd try using other dies to size the case smaller to get a better grip on the bullet. I partially sized a case (about .5") with a .308 Win. die, used a Lee Universal Neck Flaring Die to facilitate seating without using the normal expanding die, which would negate the process. When the bullet (230 gr. Hdy. JRN) is seated, the case is slightly wasp-waisted. I haven't taken them to the range yet, but hopeful the plan works.

What are your thoughts?

In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hubcap52 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Thank you very much for the link and the research. I didn't really get a sense of whether you thought it was a worthwhile process, though from reading your other more recent posts I don't see references to it, so perhaps that's my answer.
Hubcap52

Postby Hoot » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:34 am

Hubcap52 wrote:Thank you very much for the link and the research. I didn't really get a sense of whether you thought it was a worthwhile process, though from reading your other more recent posts I don't see references to it, so perhaps that's my answer.

IIRC, my experience was that there was no noteworthy improvement in performance. This was back when we still believed there was some miracle cure for straight walled calibers that don't headspace on the rim. Finding that "truffle" was especially of interest to me because I was looking hard at lighter bullets. They need the most neck retention because of Newton's 2nd law.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b