250 gr Monoflex Bullets

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

250 gr Monoflex Bullets

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:08 pm

I got a great deal on two 50-count boxes of them and will do a range report as soon as I can load some up.

Also, I only wanted one box for myself. Listed the other one in the Market sub-forum for what I paid for them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: 250 gr Monoflex Bullets

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Got them home and noticed the 250 Monoflex is the same length as the 300gr SST/ML bullet. Both being longer than a regular 250 FTX as you would imagine. No grooves in the Monoflex like the picture on the box implied, but then they are intended to be put in 50 cal sabots. I was hoping for a groove to taper crimp down into. Not a big deal as I don't repeatedly slam chamber the same round. Also, solid copper bullets don't deform under crimp like lead cup and core ones, so there will be better neck tension.

I'll get an image of them alongside one another up in my Range Report.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Actually Pig_Popper beat me to the comparison image from his work back in 2016

Also saved me pulling down my work after aborting, as I was going to load them up around 250 FTX charges. He found best results from 34 to 35gr LG. I may drop powder speed to accommodate the extra length and hardness. Was hoping to get out tomorrow as Sunday, the Vikings play just when the range opens up. Gotta have priorities. ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Uff Da!

Got 3 runs of 5 (34, 34.5, 35gr) loaded up and about to crash before I turn back into a pumpkin.
Will report back tomorrow afternoon. Have another caliber (6mm XC) Almost identical to the 6 Creedmoor but 10 years older. I've been working with it as well. Should be a "Blue Jay Purdy Day".

Hoot
Hoot

Postby ScottyPotty » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Tag, I'm interested to see how they work.
ScottyPotty

Postby Hopalong » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:13 am

ScottyPotty wrote:Tag, I'm interested to see how they work.

Yeah, since I bought the ones Hoot sold, me to...

Hop
Hopalong

Postby kottke_35 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Interested as well.

Bz
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Mixed results with Lil Gun. Have more testing in the wings but it was 95 degrees today. Very unusual for mid-September. So, no range time on the main day I usually get some, being a working stiff. Too bad no retirees reload and experiment. Hot weather predicted again for tomorrow and besides, I'll be watching my beloved Vikings take on the Packers at noon. The same time the range opens on Sundays. So, maybe next Saturday, weather permitting. Oh, to be retired! Still have 2 yrs one and a half months left. :|

Best results and it could have been me as I've been shooting strictly bolt action 6 and 6.5 mm rifles the past month and a half, so was woefully out practice with the jumping thumper. Anyway, best 5-shot, 100 yd group was with 34.0 gr Lil Gun @ 2157 fps Avg (.75 MOA). Have a few more steps to try before going to a slower powder. Not sure about the weekend of the 29th as I leave Tuesday the 2nd for my annual pilgrimage to see my 86 yr old Dad in Maryland and be bored out of my mind. He doesn't do much but park in his motorized lazyboy and live vicariously through the television anymore.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Hopalong » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:55 am

Hoot wrote: snip...
Too bad no retirees reload and experiment...

Oh, to be retired! Still have 2 yrs one and a half months left. :|

Hoot

I retired end of March and am still catching up on all the stuff that got put on the back burner while I was working... But I see a lot more range time in the near future and hope to contribute something worthwhile here and join Hoot and all the others who've put a lot of great info on this forum.

Hop
Hopalong

Postby Hoot » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:47 pm

Well, I got the last of the bullets loaded up to finish the experiment this coming Saturday morning, just in time for the us to experience the seasons killing frost. Probably won't be the most comfortable conditions but at least the range won't be knee deep in snow like when March arrives and the yearn returns. I hope to get the entire thing written up this weekend or Monday at the latest. Hang in there Hop.

Hoot
Hoot

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b