Midway Has Barnes 450b TSX Bullets on Sale

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Midway Has Barnes 450b TSX Bullets on Sale

Postby Hoot » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Not a cheap date but I know some of you like them.

Link

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4148
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Midway Has Barnes 450b TSX Bullets on Sale

Postby ScottyPotty » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:23 pm

I just bought some 200gn XPB on sale. I bought another couple boxes trying to get them to shoot accurately.
ScottyPotty
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Midway Has Barnes 450b TSX Bullets on Sale

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:05 am

What barrel are you running? The Barnes 200 and 275 bullets are pretty accurate for most. You should be able to find at least one node. For me, the 200xpb seemed to be more accurate then the 275 TSX, and I think it has to do with the 275’s being a bit smaller in diameter. Still, the 275’s has been more than accurate enough for me. I have a few barrels, so far the Barnes shoot very well in all. I’m wondering why they won’t for you.
Bmt85
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 11:13 am
Location: S.E. Michigan

Re: Midway Has Barnes 450b TSX Bullets on Sale

Postby ScottyPotty » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Bmt85 wrote:What barrel are you running? The Barnes 200 and 275 bullets are pretty accurate for most. You should be able to find at least one node. For me, the 200xpb seemed to be more accurate then the 275 TSX, and I think it has to do with the 275’s being a bit smaller in diameter. Still, the 275’s has been more than accurate enough for me. I have a few barrels, so far the Barnes shoot very well in all. I’m wondering why they won’t for you.


Sorry for the late reply, I have a lightweight barrel made by McGowen Precision. It's an SS 18" barrel, 1:24 twist. I finally got it to shoot under an inch at 100y last weekend with 39.5gn lilgun.

I started over since the first time I shot these weights it was not very accurate. I then slowly went up to 42gns and wasn't getting anywhere. Part of me says its good enough for deer hunting, the other parts wants to keep exploring.

Image
ScottyPotty
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Midway Has Barnes 450b TSX Bullets on Sale

Postby Hoot » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Accuracy nodes repeat as velocity goes up or down but 3 shots is nearly a statistically insignificant sample. Not trying to use up all of your bullets but before you put the recipe "in the books", make sure it repeats. I've shot 3) 3-shot groups before using the same load and the way this caliber rocks and rolls, they grouped like they were different loads. Some were impressive (the ones I show you guys) ;) and some were not. That having been said, when you arrive at a good recipe, the average for multiple groups will be better than the other candidates. This is exacerbated by how light the rig is. Heavier rigs are more consistent than lighter ones. That why BR competitors use heavy rigs, if given the choice. Ditto on scope power. I use a 6-24 dialed all the way up when testing loads. I'm not trying to test my eyes after all...

Fortunately, deer don't require pinpoint accuracy, hence the term Minute of Deer. Any of those groups will put meat in the freezer at the range this caliber is typically used. That's the payoff but it shares the limelight with the joy of experimenting. Hope you had fun getting there.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4148
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Midway Has Barnes 450b TSX Bullets on Sale

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:34 am

What is your crimp, are you crimping into the front of the first driving band, are you stab crimping?
Bmt85
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 11:13 am
Location: S.E. Michigan

Re: Midway Has Barnes 450b TSX Bullets on Sale

Postby ScottyPotty » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:13 pm

Bmt85 wrote:What is your crimp, are you crimping into the front of the first driving band, are you stab crimping?


Yes, crimping on the front driving band with a taper crimp.
ScottyPotty
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Midway Has Barnes 450b TSX Bullets on Sale

Postby Hoot » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:06 am

ScottyPotty wrote:
Bmt85 wrote:What is your crimp, are you crimping into the front of the first driving band, are you stab crimping?


Yes, crimping on the front driving band with a taper crimp.


For clarification of semantics, do you mean taper crimping up on top of the driving bands or down into the grooves between them? The latter agreeing with my preaching for whats seems like forever. Image.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4148
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Midway Has Barnes 450b TSX Bullets on Sale

Postby ScottyPotty » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:15 am

Hoot wrote:
ScottyPotty wrote:
Bmt85 wrote:What is your crimp, are you crimping into the front of the first driving band, are you stab crimping?


Yes, crimping on the front driving band with a taper crimp.


For clarification of semantics, do you mean taper crimping up on top of the driving bands or down into the grooves between them? The latter agreeing with my preaching for whats seems like forever. Image.

Hoot


I guess I'm still playing with seating depth a little. The above groups were shot at 2.1815 with just a tiny, bit of the driving band showing. I don't really understand crimping into the groove as there is nothing for the crimp to bite into and I do get some bullet movement OAL grows .003 when I hit the bolt release and slam a round in the chamber. But they did shoot better than when I tried a shorter OAL.
ScottyPotty
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Midway Has Barnes 450b TSX Bullets on Sale

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:35 am

If you crimp towards the front of the driving band/groove, it will help prevent the bullet from sinking deeper into the case if it slams into the barrel extension (or feed ramps). However, with the AR we also have to contend with inertia, both from recoil and cycling, which can cause the bullets to shift forward (growing coal's). One way to combat this is to stab or side crimp. The Barnes bullets are great for this because they have multiple driving bands. Something else to check is what is the Internal diameter of the case mouth. If your only .0001-0002 smaller, it might not have enough neck tension to hold on to the bullet.
Bmt85
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 11:13 am
Location: S.E. Michigan


Return to Reloading for the 450b

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests