Bullet type

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Bullet type

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:00 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Welcome to our addiction!
Start Slow and master LilGun first.
Seek advice here.
(Not Facebook).
I’ve seen some real tripe and dangerous practices
Over there. A small handful of individuals over there
who are coloring WAAAY outside the lines.

I don't have facebook, so have no idea. However, seeing you say that scares me! :shock:
Bmt85

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Smithjdsr wrote:I LOVE attention to detail. I may only be a 6th grade social studies teacher, but in a past life I was a chemist (13 years). Details are the life blood of a chemist! Also, I like my face where it is on the front of my head and I like my real life blood inside where it belongs, so attention to detail while reloading seems to be a worthy cause.

Once this season wraps up in a week, I’ll turn my attention to stuffing bullets into brass tubes to entertain myself on those cold, winter evenings. I’ll start with the Hornady 225’s. My dies showed up yesterday, electronic scale and universal de-capping die should arrive on Saturday while I’m hunting. I have a beam balance and a Redding powder measure and a caliper that I use for 80% lowers. Maybe last is to make or buy a tumbler. I guess I also need a Hornady 10th edition (I have 2nd edition 1st printing- does that tell you why starting over I consider myself to be a beginner?).

I think the 225 FTX's are a great place for learning to reload for this caliber. They are easy to load for, are half the price of the 250gr FTX's, usually have an accuracy node not far from your starting load (low recoil and accurate plinking load), and if you so choose, can double as decent hunting bullet.
Bmt85

Postby Smithjdsr » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:44 pm

Can’t find my shellholders. Paper with Hornady dies says #1. RCBS shell holder for .30-06 seems to be #3. So a Hornady #1 is the same as an RCBS #3 ? Since the press is RCBS is an RCBS shellholder preferred, or does it matter? (Bushy uses the same as .30-06, right?)
John

“Remember; No matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai
Smithjdsr

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:07 am

Yep same shellholder as a 06, 308, etc. doesn't matter on brand most fit all presses these days.
Al in Mi

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:35 am

Al in Mi wrote:Yep same shellholder as a 06, 308, etc. doesn't matter on brand most fit all presses these days.

Just a note of caution, just because the shell holder for 30 out 6 will work for 450 bushmaster, that does not mean that a 30 out 6 shell can be used as parent brass. Nor will a 308 Winchester.
I see people saying that quite often.
NO!
The parent cartridge is a totally different animal.
The parent cartridge is the 284 Winchester. That’s the
ONLY right answer.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Smithjdsr » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:13 pm

Image I just thought you’d like to know. He’s small, but not bad for a button buck. I’m after good venison, not hanging leftovers in the wall this year!
John

“Remember; No matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai
Smithjdsr

Postby cwlongshot » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:07 am

Congratulations on the deer!!

I have used the 200G and 225 FTX on a few head of game in 45 Colt and 454 Cassull... BOTH can be fragile. the 450 has more HOP than BOTH.

The 225 shoots REAL well in my guns 450 included. I have had the 200G come apart on Coyotes! I haven't lost a deer with them and different folks judge a bullet problems differently. I do not consider these bullets to have failed, but in same regard, I will DEFINEATELY treat them differently and likely not choose EITHER as a Big Game Bullet in the 450.

When judging a big game hunting bullet, I subscribe to complete thru and thru penetration or I am not happy. For me, Defensive and Varmint bullets STAY inside and or "explode".

The Hornady XTP MAG is a better choice, but still the 450 Can outrun its max recommended velocity. BUT enough of us have used them in muzzle loaders are close ballistics and know the bullet works pretty well. The 250 FTX and the 300G made for Muzzle loaders are pretty good/safe bets. People have complained about bullets "blowing up" but MANY variables exist, like distance, whats actually hit by the bullet (Was bullet upset by strikes BEFORE impact) So take them with a grain of salt.
I personally saw what one 250 FTX and one 250 SHOCK WAVE will do to broad side shots on 140 ish Whitetails @ 40 & 140 Yards. Thru and thru, ribs both sides and Quarter & Nickel sized entrances and silver dollar + exits.

The 250 Gold Dot Bullet took a base of the neck shot form 25 yrds on a 200# buck a few years back from my 454 carbine. That bullet never exited, BUT It pulverized a vertebra and still penetrated 12+" of muscled rutting buck neck to be found under the skin on opposite side, INTACT! I was impressed with that bullet!

As to powder coated lead bullets. that powder coat, if properly applied is a good Jacket. It encapsulates the bullet, allows for much higher velocities and excellent performance. Some worry about the gas systems of firearms and I tend to agree. But MANY shoot them without issue.

I cast and powder coat my own 300G bullet and load it to 1800 fps and it shoots MOA from my RARR BOLT gun. I would NOT hesitate to take large game with this loading.

CW
cwlongshot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b