Barnes T-EZ muzzleloader bullets in the 450

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Barnes T-EZ muzzleloader bullets in the 450

Postby KenMI » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:01 am

My start with the 450 came in 2017, when I bought the CVA Scout single shot. I have since upgraded to the Ruger Ranch LH and had it customized the way I wanted it (see my post in bolt action rifles for pics).
Anyhow, I never bought factory ammo for it, and never intend to. I started with the 200 grain Barnes XPB bullets. In both guns, they were very fast, and very accurate. However, I prefer the tipped bullets in all my other calibers, and use the Barnes LRX or TTSX for all my hunting uses. And, I really was looking for something just a bit heavier in 454 caliber. The 200s just seem real short and light to me, even though I know there are no issues with performance or penetration. They will outperform the factory 250 FTX on any shot, I know that.
I had read a few posts about guys trying the T-EZ flat base muzzleloader bullets. Most info I saw said that the flat base bullets do much better than the boattail versions of the same.
So, after the season in 2017, I picked up a pack of the 250 T-EZs and worked up a load.
I ended up working up to 44.0 grains of Lil' Gun, with no pressure signs. THis obviously can only be used in a bolt or single shot. My OAL is 2.34". In the Ruger with this bullet, the distance to jammed in the lands is 2.500". So, actually I could have loaded it a bit longer if I wanted to. But, they shoot great, and Barnes usually like a good jump.
When I got the Ruger, I sighted in with that load, and also shot some of the 200s. Both shot well, but I got 3 of the 250 grain T-EZ bullets touching at 100 yards, so that was good enough. I decided to just use that bullet.
I have heard conflicting reports of fouling with these bullets. I have experienced no issues at all. They are going just under 2400 fps in the Ruger Ranch. No fouling noted.
I have not had a problem at all selling the sabots to muzzleloader hunters, so at least the sabots don't go to waste.
I have since bought some of the Remington Ultimate sabots. Same bullet, but with a bronze colored tip instead of blue.
Nice thing is that usually muzzleloader stuff gets put on pretty good clearance at the end of the season.

I shot 3 deer with that load this year. 20 yards was the furthest that any deer ran after being hit.
Last edited by KenMI on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenMI

Re: Barnes T-EZ muzzleloader bullets in the 450

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:48 am

shot a bunch of those TEZ's in a MGM 460 Encore when I had it, have shot a few from my custom 700, shot great from both guns with 300MP. Hornady has a 250gr Monoflex ML bullet that shoots pretty good, by good I mean I never had a 3 shot group over a inch when I did my part. Never had a hair test on the Hornadys but those Barnes were something.
Al in Mi

Postby gmstack » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:41 pm

44 grains of what powder ?
gmstack

Postby KenMI » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:26 pm

oops, sorry. Lil' Gun. Just edited it.
KenMI

Return to Reloading for the 450b