Bone penetration

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Bone penetration

Postby KenMI » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:16 pm

I have read many reports this year stating the same situation, and a guy at our camp this year had the same thing happen. Fortunately he was able to get another shot into the deer to anchor it. A friend of mine had 4 shots into his buck before it went down.

Bad shot placement or not, that's not an excuse for bullet failure. A shoulder shot is sometimes even a targeted spot to quickly drop a deer, where tracking would be difficult, or if near a river or property line.

The FTX bullets sometimes work, sometimes don't, and more often than not, lack penetration when bone is hit.
KenMI

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:41 am

Lwestover wrote:Sheepdog,it was a bad shot, I was aiming at the heart, shoulder blade is never my intention, but would like to have a bullet that would get the job done if I misjudged a little. Thanks for everyone's input.

Well. You could always go with the 230 grain FMJ.
https://youtu.be/Rt7SAzXuo8I
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:50 am

Lwestover wrote:Sheepdog,it was a bad shot, I was aiming at the heart, shoulder blade is never my intention, but would like to have a bullet that would get the job done if I misjudged a little. Thanks for everyone's input.

Doesn't matter what caliber and we all make bad shots from time to time, but a good bullet like the Barnes will help makeup for a bad shot, especially where bone is involved.
Al in Mi

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:42 pm

Al in Mi wrote:

Doesn't matter what caliber and we all make bad shots from time to time, but a good bullet like the Barnes will help makeup for a bad shot, especially where bone is involved.

+1
I've used the 275 TSX and 200 XPB to take game. With both bullet's I had a couple shot's that weren't perfect, but good enough. The internal trauma was intense, also blew through ribs in and out. The cartridge is VERY forgiving with good bullet's.

Texas Sheepdawg also has a good idea, if you have to go through heavy bone.
Bmt85

Postby MOOSE EARS » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:42 pm

I use the 275 Barnes bullet and it will compensate for a less than perfect shot. It will penetrate ribs, no problem. The shoulder blade, no problem. But if you hit the end of that upper leg bone with a 'lottery' shot, you are going to have a wounded deer to track. Next time you butcher a deer, remove the upper leg bone, take a hammer and smack the end of that bone and watch what happens. Shoot BEHIND the shoulder and problem is solved. The heart is behind the shoulder joint and low by a couple of inches, especially on a bigger deer. Plus, the lower shot placement contributes to greater blood loss for easier tracking. Leaves blood trails Ray Charles could follow!
MOOSE EARS

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:26 pm

MOOSE EARS wrote:I use the 275 Barnes bullet and it will compensate for a less than perfect shot. It will penetrate ribs, no problem. The shoulder blade, no problem. But if you hit the end of that upper leg bone with a 'lottery' shot, you are going to have a wounded deer to track. Next time you butcher a deer, remove the upper leg bone, take a hammer and smack the end of that bone and watch what happens. Shoot BEHIND the shoulder and problem is solved. The heart is behind the shoulder joint and low by a couple of inches, especially on a bigger deer. Plus, the lower shot placement contributes to greater blood loss for easier tracking. Leaves blood trails Ray Charles could follow!

Is this the 275 gr Barnes TSX bullet?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby MOOSE EARS » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:06 pm

I'm using pull down 275gr Barnes bullets, no pointed tip, just an open end. They nay be TSX bullets. The bullet matters but not as much as proper shot placement.
MOOSE EARS

Postby KenMI » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 pm

Barnes does make 2 different 275 grain bullets. One is the XPB with 3 grooves. The other is the TSX with 2 grooves. Not sure if the hollow point is different, or if the expansion velocity ranges are the same or not. Barnes certainly would be happy to let you know, if you contact them. I know many guys use the XPB version, and their site says the TSX version is for the 450 Bushmaster. Probably does not make a bit of difference really. The 3rd groove might help slightly with copper fouling, but I have zero issues with fouling with the T-EZ bullets with no grooves, so that might not even be a factor either.
KenMI

Postby ScottyPotty » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Al in Mi wrote:
Lwestover wrote:Is there a bullet available to reload that can penetrate a deer shoulder blade, perhaps a cast bullet? This season I shot a doe at 100yrds, unfortunately it hit her square in the shoulder. She limped off 200 yrds through a cut bean field and into a no hunting area I couldn't access. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

welcome and sorry for your misfortunes, trust me, it's not the 450's fault.

275gr Barnes will take care of anything it meets in a whitetail or probably any other critter for that matter. If you don't reload, Federal has a new offering that should be a winner and Black Butterfly has some decent loads with the Banes and Maker bullets, not cheap, but premium ammo never is.

Buffalo Bore makes some 450B with the 275gn Barnes....if you happen to like an awesome bullet and don't want to reload.
ScottyPotty

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:26 pm

KenMI wrote:Barnes does make 2 different 275 grain bullets. One is the XPB with 3 grooves. The other is the TSX with 2 grooves. Not sure if the hollow point is different, or if the expansion velocity ranges are the same or not. Barnes certainly would be happy to let you know, if you contact them. I know many guys use the XPB version, and their site says the TSX version is for the 450 Bushmaster. Probably does not make a bit of difference really. The 3rd groove might help slightly with copper fouling, but I have zero issues with fouling with the T-EZ bullets with no grooves, so that might not even be a factor either.

From Barnes, the 275 TSX opens at 1200fps in water tests, the 275 XPB opens at 1400fps. I also asked why the TSX is undersized (.4500-.4505) and they said that it will help reduce pressures (for same load) without losing accuracy. I don't know what the 275 XPB diameter actually is, but I get slightly better accuracy with 200 XPB's compared to the 275 TSX's, and the 200 XPB's are slightly bigger (.4510 I believe). With that said, I still get good accuracy from the 275 TSX's. I also run them a little harder and sacrifice a little accuracy because I haven't needed a 100yd shot on game.
Bmt85

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b