Case Lube

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Case Lube

Postby Smithjdsr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:10 am

I guess I don’t need a whole new thread for this, but...

I have some Hornady Unique Case Lube (LGS has that and OneShot- they said I want Unique). They also said, “Swipe your index finger, rub your thumb and second finger with it, that should do 3-4 cases, then swipe your index again.” Is that good? Resize, then what? Leave on for flaring, seating, and crimping? Or wipe off? Or re-tumble before priming? Or...?

And flaring- just enough so that the bullet sits on the I.d. of the case, right? Or should it go inside a fraction of an inch?
John

“Remember; No matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai
Smithjdsr

Re: Case Lube

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Have no experience with Hornady lubes, so can't give you info on that. I use RCBS case lube 2, for 2 reasons, one, it came with my kit, and two, it's water soluble. I wet tumble, and have heard of some lubes gunking up the pins. So I stuck with it.

What I normally do is run my cases through my wet tumbler about 2-3hrs depending, then dry. I then resize, dump them back in the wet tumbler for 30-60min, then dry. It's a process, but that's what I do. I don't know if it will mess with anything leaving the lube on, but I want a complete seal of the brass to chamber walls. Case lube could potentially mess with that, at that point it would also be inducing more force on the bolt. If I'm pushing my loads, I really don't want that!

I also don't flare my brass, don't need to (on jacketed and mono copper anyway). Use a VLD chamfer tool on the mouth a little, and there shouldn't really be a problem. If you flare the mouth, you could end up getting too much spring back on the crimp, you might also lose neck tension in that area. Which in an AR running 450B, we need what we can get.

That's my thought's anyway.
Bmt85

Postby plant_one » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:16 pm

i'm a hornady one shot case lube user.

beautiful stuff - as long as you let it dry properly. if you're impatient and refuse to let the stuff dry, it acts wonky and you could get a stuck case. if you RTFM and follow directions, it works like a champ!

its cost efficient, i get about 4000 cases out of a can, and i dont think its possible to over-lube with the stuff and get hydraulic dimples like you can with other case lubes (most notably lanolin based stuff). you'll need to be careful with that with most paste style lubes, but if you remember less is more - it WILL build up in your dies over time - you should be just fine.

on top of that one shot is also time efficient. yes it takes about 8-10 mins to dry, but you can also lube several hundred cases for that drying time. i dump a whole pile of brass into one of those 98 cent plastic shoeboxes from wally world and lube them up in there, instead of having to individually hand lube every case. plus i use that dry time to final set my press up. so its not like you gotta sit there and watch the paint dry or anything silly like that. Get your cases, spray them down good, shake, spray again, shake again, and let dry while you go about the rest of your setup. when you're ready to go your brass will be too!

hth
plant_one

Postby LeaderOfThePack » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Haven't tried on 450bm yet, but I make my lube and it works fine with 30-06 and 338wm. I take pump/spray bottle, drop bearing ball in, put 5-10% of lanolin and 90-95% isopropanol. Then shake well and spray it to plastic box where cases are. Shake/mix cases and spray again. It spreads easily and even, dries in seconds and can be wash off with mild soap water. On top of that lanolin is eco friendly and totally non-poisonous for everything.
LeaderOfThePack

Postby MiHunter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:51 pm

I use hornady one shot or rcbs case lube. I spray one shot on before setting up dies or gdtting bullets, primers, etc around then its dry. Never had a stuck case with it and it doesnt need to be wiped off or tumbled off. It also will not affect powder and primers according to the can. The quality and finish of the die also plays a part. Redding or hornady usually get away with ond shot. Lee typically need something more like the rcbs lube i keep for that.
MiHunter

Postby plant_one » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:09 pm

MiHunter wrote:I use hornady one shot or rcbs case lube. I spray one shot on before setting up dies or gdtting bullets, primers, etc around then its dry. Never had a stuck case with it and it doesnt need to be wiped off or tumbled off. It also will not affect powder and primers according to the can. The quality and finish of the die also plays a part. Redding or hornady usually get away with ond shot. Lee typically need something more like the rcbs lube i keep for that.

i guess the stack of lee dies i use are the exception - like all 9 calibers of them. and my 450bm hornady dies like it too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby Smithjdsr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:17 pm

What’s my tolerance here? As a chemist, 0.1 grains on a cheap battery-operated scale seems... (well, let’s just say that I have a former prof. or two who would take me to the wood shed for even thinking about it!) But in reloading, looking for 38 grains, will this do?

...or would that blow my head off? I’m basically asking about safety. I’d like good accuracy, but I’m not going to beat the Canadians at 3,600 meters. So start with safety.

CCI 450 primers, Hornady 225 grain FTX bullets, new brass, 38 grains of Lil Gun. I’m in no hurry and I’m doing this for fun, so I will weigh each load. So, how precisely 38 is 38?
John

Smithjdsr

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:02 pm

If you are measuring the weight of empty, unprimed Hornady 450b cases, then Avogadro's ghost had his finger on your scale! :?

I weighed 10 random cases and they came in at:
.3763 oz 164.63 grains
.3862 oz 168.96 grains
.3801 oz 166.29 grains
.3848 oz 168.35 grains
.3831 oz 167.61 grains
.3859 oz 168.83 grains
.3814 oz 166.86 grains
,3791 oz 165.86 grains
.3832 oz 167.65 grains
.3823 oz 167.26 grains
---------------------------
.3822 Avg 167.23 Avg

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Smithjdsr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Hah! No, that’s a tared case with 38 grains of Lil Gun in it. Each time I tared the case and put a charge in it, it varied between 37.9 and 38.3. I was told to set the powder dispenser and weigh every 10 charges, but the charges I played with varied by 0.5 grains. If I had charged those 10 and loaded them, they would not all have been 38.0, they would have varied between 37.9 and 38.3 Then, I guess, then I would have weighed the 10th one.

I’m just wondering what variance is acceptable? What is safe? Even if I weigh every charge, which I’m willing to do, do I have to adjust to 38.0 for every load?
John

Smithjdsr

Postby KenMI » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 pm

Depends how consistent you want your ammo. A powder measure goes by volume. A scale goes by weight. No risk of overcharge at .3 grains but if you weigh every charge you will be one step ahead in consistent loads
KenMI

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b