Case Lube

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Case Lube

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:28 am

what powder dispenser are you using?
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:01 am

With the scale averaging both the case and charge weights prior to combining the two, you are seeing "tolerance stacking" compounded by the case's weight swamping the scale when you include it in the weight of the charge. If you want to assess your scale's repeatability, weigh 10 individual charges and put them in their cases. When you're done, zero the pan and pour the charge from each case onto it. Take your reading, record it and pour that charge back into the case. Repeat for each charged case and then compare the results. They shouldn't drift more than +/- .1gr.

Important: Leave cellphones, cordless phones, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi linked devices out of the room. The lesser digits of my digital scale jump when exposed to near field Radio Frequency Energy. Modern ceiling fluorescent lights shouldn't be as big a factor if they're in grounded metal housings. Avoid those popular desktop magnifiers with the small fluorescent bulbs (Ring Magnifiers) on the same table as your scale. You can qualify which devices need to be isolated by zeroing your scale with all of them out of the room and then introduce each one and see if your scale jumps. It might take a while since many devices transmit energy at different levels depending upon their activity.

By the way, get one of these:

Lyman p/n 7752433

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Smithjdsr » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:57 am

Al in Mi wrote:what powder dispenser are you using?

Redding Master Measure. Like almost all my equipment it’s a hand-me-down from my Dad. He never used it and always scooped his loads. There’s some mystery there because I can’t find his set of scoops or some of his dies.
John

“Remember; No matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai
Smithjdsr

Postby Smithjdsr » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 am

Hoot wrote:
By the way, get one of these:

Lyman p/n 7752433

Hoot

That’s good. I’ll get one. I have a case funnel, but a pan with funnel would be less awkward. Also, I had heard about rf interference with those scales, so my phone stays in the other room.
John

Smithjdsr

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:23 am

my RCBS and Redding measures will dump Lilgun within that +/- tenth of a grain all day long. You might have some static in it, try bumping your handle (raise about 1/4 way) and drop it a couple of times after the dump.

Take a old dryer sheet and wipe the insides of your measure, that will help with static.
Al in Mi

Postby KenMI » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:47 pm

And any scale pan will work just fine, assuming you have a funnel. Or I suppose you could use the same empty case, just for the scale. If you weigh more than one case, you are throwing a whole other variable in the game, as mentioned.
KenMI

Postby Smithjdsr » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:02 pm

For dispensing I tried to be consistent- keep the level in the hopper about in the middle, two gentle bumps down when filling the measure, two gentle bumps up when dispensing to clear everything through. But with a static-y pan and funnel, I tried dispensing directly into the case. It didn’t occur to me that tareing the case might duplicate the error.

Given that 38 grains is a minimum load, +0.2 or even +0.3 grains wouldn’t be dangerous, so I’m good for target shooting and for a test run. I’ll get some dryer sheets and do a static wipe and see if that helps. Does it seem right that 38 grains about 2/3 or 3/4 fills the case? All the converting between volume and mass is a little intimidating and I just want to be safe. (Just talked to a friend at church whose grandson got snow in his barrel and blew it up. Nobody got hurt but scary stuff.
John

Smithjdsr

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:48 pm

I use the HORNADY - LOCK-N-LOAD® AUTO CHARGE (https://shop.brownells.com/reloading/powder-handling/powder-measures-dispensers/lock-n-load-auto-charge-sku749009853-38566-72683.aspx?cm_mmc=PPC-_-Itwine-_-Bing-_-749-009-853&msclkid=2d803b4cc67f19c28a7e67774cbc092f, which is claimed to be accurate to 0.1gr. That means that a 38.0 gr load could weight between 37.9 and 38.1 gr and the device would pass it as 38.0. Gun Digest magazine did a comparison of several auto charging devices, including comparisons to the use of manual scales. The link is here https://www.gun-tests.com/issues/30_6/features/Programmable-Automatic-Powder-Dispensers-26887-1.html#.XD0MQfZFyUk. You will need to be a subscriber to access the whole article, or pay for a reprint, or find it elsewhere on the internet.

I have not checked my Auto Charge against a manual scale, but will do so shortly. It certainly speeds up the reloading process, as you can seat the bullet in the loaded case, while the next charge is being dispensed.

If you are using the manual powder dispenser, Hornady for one makes a micrometer adjustment knob to replace the knurled knob that sets the amount of powder that is dispensed. If your dispensed weight drifts, it is easier to make fine adjustments to get back to your target load. https://www.brownells.com/reloading/powder-handling/measure-stands-accessories/bench-rest-metering-insert-prod85597.aspx

As for lube, I use Hornady One Shot Case Lube in the aerosol can. I set up 10 shells at a time mouth up in a tray and spray them from two directions. I size them immediately, so that some of the lube is still wet. I have had problems with a stuck case a couple of times, when I waited for the lube to dry. After they are sized, the lube dries. If any gets into the case, it gets removed during case prep, when I run a bore brush down the cartridge before I champfer and bevel the case mouth.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 am

Interesting test results but they only addressed the latest model of the Lyman. My 1200 DPS-III is a rock solid performer and doesn't "pile up" powder like the Gen 6 reportedly does. I do recommend putting a Ferrite choke on the power cord, as close as possible to where it plugs into the scale, of any electronic powder dispenser to reduce sensitivity to EMI. I leave my scale turned on constantly to eliminate warm up drift. Never know when the urge to reload will come over me. ;) I have a case of snap on Ferrite chokes if someone needs some, free of charge (you pay shipping).

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby CJP1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 am

plant_one wrote:i'm a hornady one shot case lube user.

beautiful stuff - as long as you let it dry properly. if you're impatient and refuse to let the stuff dry, it acts wonky and you could get a stuck case. if you RTFM and follow directions, it works like a champ!

its cost efficient, i get about 4000 cases out of a can, and i dont think its possible to over-lube with the stuff and get hydraulic dimples like you can with other case lubes (most notably lanolin based stuff). you'll need to be careful with that with most paste style lubes, but if you remember less is more - it WILL build up in your dies over time - you should be just fine.

on top of that one shot is also time efficient. yes it takes about 8-10 mins to dry, but you can also lube several hundred cases for that drying time. i dump a whole pile of brass into one of those 98 cent plastic shoeboxes from wally world and lube them up in there, instead of having to individually hand lube every case. plus i use that dry time to final set my press up. so its not like you gotta sit there and watch the paint dry or anything silly like that. Get your cases, spray them down good, shake, spray again, shake again, and let dry while you go about the rest of your setup. when you're ready to go your brass will be too!
hth

plant_one,
I'm also a One Shot user. I have been spraying my brass while in loading blocks. I really like your way of spraying in plastic box. I'll have to give it a try. It will also keep my loading blocks from getting gunked up.
CJP1

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b