Field report for RAR rifle.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Field report for RAR rifle.

Postby CJP1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:46 am

My brother in law and I participated in a special doe hunt in the southern part of Alpena County in Northern Michigan. We both shot does broadside at around 50yds with my RAR rifle. The only thing different were the handloads that we used. I shot my doe with a Barnes 200gr XPB bullet with a MV of 2583 FPS and he shot his with a Hornady 240gr XTP Mag bullet with a MV of 2187 FPS. My doe had massive trauma to heart and lungs with a lot of bloodshot meat. My brother in laws doe had minimal trauma to lungs and a little bloodshot meat. I'm going to back my load for the 200gr bullets down some so that I won't get so much bloodshot meat.
CJP1

Re: Field report for RAR rifle.

Postby MiHunter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:10 am

Did they drop on the spot or run? If they ran howd the blood trail look for both rounds. Congrats on your harvest.
MiHunter

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:44 pm

I have ran the 200 XPB at max book load of Lilgun with a stab crimp, so it should be running around 2400fps, maybe a bit more. Took a button buck at 25ish yds. Damage was extensive, actually damaged about 1/4 of the heart, when shot placement wasn't really near it (went in behind rear shoulder and exited last rib, or second to last). I had some bloodshot meat, but not a lot.

Took a cow elk (50ish yds) and black bear (25ish yds) with the 275 TSX loaded long, and a stout load of Lilgun. No idea what velocity, but seeing other numbers from people with similar builds and loads, i'm guessing 2300-2400fps. Didn't get to see the internal damage on the elk, but when I flipped it over to load it on the cart, it was dumping out blood from the exit wound (about 2"+) like someone turned on a hose. Because of the angle of the shot, I decided to go through the lower rear part of the shoulder. Had 2 giant wounds in the arm pit, where the bullet went from the shoulder to the chest. Had a bit of bloodshot meat in shoulder and chest where the bullet entered. With the black bear, because of the angle, I put the shot at the high rear part of the shoulder, it exited just behind the offside shoulder, near the arm pit. Damage was ridiculous, quite a bit of damage to left lung and heart, even though I wasn't really close to them. Partially severed the trachea, did extensive damage to right lung, exit wound the size of a cue ball, and it started to pull the lung out the exit wound. Ended up with a lot of bloodshot meat in the shoulder, so we threw it in with the carcasses.

So to me, using the Barnes bullets in this cartridge at moderate speeds (compared to other cartridges) will give you more bloodshot meat, especially going through an arm or shoulder (more meat than ribcage). I try not to go through the shoulders, because of that, but take what I can get. I actually would have taken the button buck through the shoulder, if he was bigger, but it still did the job just fine. Could've went for the front chest, but would've exited the off side shoulder. So for me, I'll take the best shot I can, and just deal with losing some meat. I'm sure if speeds are slowed down on these, you'll lose less meat, but then your also getting less internal damage.
Bmt85

Postby CJP1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:36 am

MiHunter,
Believe it or not both deer ran off after being shot. The one I shot ran around 75 yards while spewing blood and parts of lung. My brother in laws deer turned 180 degrees and ran about 30 yards while making small blood trail and fell over still within eyesight. I shot a doe last year with a factory round and she did the same thing by turning 180 degrees and running off. This round doesn't always knock them right over as some people claim. If it does, they aren't shooting the deer through the chest only. they have to be hitting head, shoulder or spine to drop them every time.
CJP1

Return to Reloading for the 450b