Reloading/crimp lesson plz

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Reloading/crimp lesson plz

Postby befus » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:18 am

OK, I have reloaded for like 20+ calibers calibers over the years for my hunting and military rifles.Thousands of rounds, and yet over all those years I have reloaded exactly two pistol, or straight cartridges. A 32 S&W with a Lee Loader 30+ yeas ago and my 41 Magnum a while back using a load I found online IIRC crimping wasn't in the deal. Now I am getting new brass and powder in for the thumper and I need help. I bought a set of Lee Pacesetter dies which include a crimp die in the four die set. No clue what type of crimp it is (factory? whatever that is), and I want to know if that is acceptable for my loading the 450 bullets? I plan on loading as long as possible and do not intend to use a cannelure, or groove if I can help it using Speer 300's, FTX 250's and Barnes PBX 275's. Just not sure what all these fractions are being used to describe crimps. I'm old and very much a candidate for KISS advice.TIA.
Befus
NRA Life Member
US Army 1969-1972
Patriot
befus

Re: Reloading/crimp lesson plz

Postby befus » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 pm

Well I found hoot's guide in his reference section which I had not found yet, and I guess I am headed in the right direction. I ordered a micrometer.
Befus
NRA Life Member
US Army 1969-1972
Patriot
befus

Postby 303hunter » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:08 pm

befus wrote:Well I found hoot's guide in his reference section which I had not found yet, and I guess I am headed in the right direction. I ordered a micrometer.

I’ve also bought a micrometer to set up my factory crimp die. Next time I load, I’m gonna give it a try. I’ve never used a micrometer, so it’ll be a learning experience.
303hunter

Postby Tripplebeards » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:18 pm

Hoot helped me out when I started loading for the 450bm the summer before last. I've been loading 300 grain Lee cast bullets. He suggested to taper crimp only at .474" case neck measurement. Works great. I tried roll crimping and they jam in my American. I tried both taper and roll crimp combo recommended by hornady...jammed. Never tried just seating them and no taper but I'm sure the recoil from bolt action would make my bullets slide forward. Probably OK in a single shot.
Tripplebeards

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:37 pm

I've been meaning to take some images of how I measure the case crimp with a micrometer, for a long time but keep getting pulled away on other projects. Not because I have the market cornered on "the right way". I just want us all to be able to reference a standard we can all relate to, like the milk jugs full of water, penetration and expansion test. They're certainly not ballistic gel with the appropriate BB penetration calibration, just something that allows as many of us who choose to, to say apples to apples, with our affordable alternative. If you live in or near a neighborhood that recycles and has kids, chances are good that you'll have no trouble getting all the free, 1 gallon milk jugs you want. The next cheapest component is water to fill them with and you're most of the way home.

Micrometers are not magical / mystical devices. Like their cousin the caliper but they adjust in more minute steps and measure with a greater degree of accuracy. They do lend well to any reloader's toolkit but having one doesn't solve problems.

I have a method that I use, the same way every time I'm measuring resultant crimp diameter. The most important part of that statement is "the same way" IE consistency. The same could be accomplished with a caliper once you establish a consistent reference point. Maybe not to the same degree of accuracy, but nonetheless as useful if you're consistent. In the next day or so, I will try to document the one of many methods out there, that I use a micrometer to measure crimp result, in terms that hopefully will be easy to follow and replicate. Then we can talk red delicious as opposed to mcintosh. ;)

Hoot

PS: Tripplebeards posted while this one was in progress. Wife called me away to watch a comedy show with her. Soon, shooting / reloading season will return and our evening time together will suffer significantly. Never hurts to make points while you can. ;)
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b