Barnes TEZ 290's

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Barnes TEZ 290's

Postby befus » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 am

Wondering if anyone has info on the Barnes T-ez bullet I found at Sportsman's Guide? Not the more familiar 250 offering, but one weighing 290 grains. It has a decent BC at .223 and SD over .200, both of which I like if looking for pass through's. After I went through almost a whole box of the pricey 275 XPB's on my abortive range trip, I was looking for more offerings (no Barnes can actually be called affordable) and ordered 30 of these at about a buck a pop.......geez. Wondering if they have been reported on, and if anyone has a guess as to the minimum velocity to get them to open up :?: TIA.
Befus
NRA Life Member
US Army 1969-1972
Patriot
befus

Re: Barnes TEZ 290's

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:44 am

That 290 is pretty long (~1.22") for making it fit inside an AR magazine without being seated so deep that it robs powder capacity and may place the ogive below the case mouth. Secondly, Barnes bullets designed for ML ride down the bore on a plastic magic carpet. Their bullets designed for direct contact with rifling, have driving bands to reduce the amount of copper in direct contact with the bore. I'd guess that their ML bullets might lead to faster copper buildup. I've not used themso take what I say with a grain of internet salt.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby fox400 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:28 pm

I have some of the 250's on the way to try, just for fun. I'll be testing them against my favorite bullet for killing deer in the 450, the 275 grain TSX. I figure if the ML bullets don't fly well out of the 450, I'm sure they'll work quite nicely in my T/C Omega.
fox400

Postby befus » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:15 pm

Well I thought of that as well. Good place to fess up here where most won't see it. :oops: I said I had a terrible range trip. This how bad. I got all this stuff to reload the 450 with, including new boxes as I don't do pistol reloading and had none to fit. I even made labels for the boxes 450 BUSHMASTER. I got three and did notice that I put one on the bottom of the case...oh well. Loaded up three loadings with LG and the TSX, three with 300MP with 300 grain Speers, one with LG and the 275 Barnes, and two with the 300MP. Got to the range and got all set up and pulled out my well labeled new box and popped it open. Guess what? You guessed it, it was the one with the label on the bottom and all those shells just fell out in a jumble on the bench....... Sigh. No way to tell which powder, the charge or differ tween them, except the 300's as they all had the same powder. So I just shot the others up as I assumed the copper bullets might be pretty messed up trying to pull them and I had enough FTX's for it not to matter, and I was a little PO'ed at he time. Thus the need for new pills. Never too old to discover new ways to screw up.
Befus
NRA Life Member
US Army 1969-1972
Patriot
befus

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:01 pm

Been there done that. I write the load on the case with a sharpie now, or will X the base, color a primer and make note of it.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:12 pm

Al in Mi wrote:Been there done that. I write the load on the case with a sharpie now, or will X the base, color a primer and make note of it.

Ditto, open box tipped over on one of my pig sty shop counters. Tried (unsuccessfully) re-qualifying them with powder scale. Shot them anyway and in a caliber with a better SD, I could have figured out which was which. Unfortunately, they were 450b. FWIW, pulling down harder all copper bullets is more forgiving than pulling down softer cup and core bullets. I have reused pulled XPB bullets with no ill effect. One of the benefits of crimping down into a driving band groove. I've never seen a pulled cup and core bullet I couldn't visually identify as having been pulled down. Unfortunately they go into the recycling box. I've got enough variables in my life already. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b