Best single stage reloader

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Best single stage reloader

Postby Prater4586 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:09 pm

Been wanting to do some reloading for awhile. I just bought a 450 ar platform gun so with this ammo costing more than my normal plinkster 223. I'm really wanting to drive in and play with some stuff. What's the best? What's the easiest? What's the most bang for your buck? I want to reload more than just 450. If you were just starting out what would you buy and what would you not buy?
Prater4586

Re: Best single stage reloader

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:55 pm

I started out a few years ago with an RCBS Supreme, and have been completely happy. Keep an eye out, they usually go on sale a couple times a year. Since your reloading for 450B, I recommend installing the press on a VERY sturdy table. Reason I say this is because you might end up sizing down .458 bullets, and a standard table top won’t cut it. I had a sturdy cabinet I was first using, while I was figuring out how to build my bench. Regular reloading was working just fine, trying to resize jacketed .458 bullets felt like I was trying to rip the press off. Completely changed how I built my bench. Now the press bolts are run through 2 sheets of 3/4” plywood, a 4x4, and a piece 3/8” thick mild steel as a backer plate. I still get a little flex, but not much.

Dies, I wold recommend sticking to Hornady for the 450B. They have a good long track record. Other calibers it would depend.

Case lube, I have only used the RCBS lube that my kit came with, and the only time I had an issue was when I applied way too much. Use it VERY sparingly, and it’s fine. I’m currently working with a couple wildcat’s and it’s still working. Another thing I like about it, it’s water based. I wet tumble my brass, and don’t have to worry about it not coming off or gunking up my pins.
Bmt85

Postby Prater4586 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:58 pm

Thanks for the reply! That's the kind of info i was looking for. Will any die go into any press, or are some presses only take its brand die?
Prater4586

Postby Prater4586 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:08 pm

I actually just found a rcbs jr3 maybe it looks pretty old? I was digging through some stuff in my storage building... I thought someone had gave me some reloading stuff 15+ years ago. Will it be good enough to start out with. If it is what brand dies fit this press. I can read internet stuff all day long but its reassuring to ask questions and get answers before pulling the trigger on buying stuff. Thanks again for the info.
Prater4586

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:35 am

I have no idea on the jr3, looked into it a little, and it's probably older then me (I was born in 85). Lol

Dies today are pretty universal, but I have a feeling they should work for that press. You could look into the different caliber's you plan on reloading, buy the cheapest new die set for one of them, and see if it fits. If you buy from a reputable company, you should be able to return the die set for a full refund, minus shipping if you order online, if it doesn't work.
Bmt85

Postby Firehunter » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:01 am

As long as that Jr3 is in workable condition, it would be a perfect start. As far as I know pretty much all dies and presses are compatible with each other...
Firehunter

Postby Prater4586 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 am

Thanks for the info guys. Where do y'all buy your powder, dies, primers? Do y'all have a one stop shop that everything is fairly priced, or do y'all shop around and try to get the best deals here there and yonder.
Prater4586

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:02 pm

I usually go through Grafs and Midsouth Shooting Supplies for powder and primers. Sometimes Midway, if they have a good enough deal. I will usually place a bigger order for powder and primers if I have to pay hazmat. If it’s free hazmat, I’ll usually just get what I need.

For bullets, brass, and dies, I’ve dealt with the previously stated companies, along with others. Just depends on what I’m looking for and pricing.
Bmt85

Postby Rivercityjeff » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:27 pm

The best press is a Forster Co-Ax. Extremely accurate and eliminates the need for shell holders. https://www.forsterproducts.com/product-category/case-sizing-lubricating/co-ax-reloading-press/
Rivercity Jeff
<><
Round Rock, Donut Capitol of Texas
Rivercityjeff

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:57 pm

Rivercityjeff wrote:The best press is a Forster Co-Ax. Extremely accurate and eliminates the need for shell holders. https://www.forsterproducts.com/product-category/case-sizing-lubricating/co-ax-reloading-press/

I saw one of these in action and was really impressed but wow the price tag! You could get 3 Rock Chuckers (on sale), along with shell holders for the cost, mount them side by side and perform 3 operations in a row. If competitive precision shooting was my only pursuit, I'd find the dough for one however. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b