Loading Hornady 451 dia. 200gr XTP bullets.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Loading Hornady 451 dia. 200gr XTP bullets.

Postby CJP1 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:29 am

I found a deal on some of these bullets. Would I have any issues shooting these bullets at 2800 FPS for target practice only? I'll be shooting my RAR rifle. I would like to duplicate my Barnes 200gr XPB loads.
CJP1
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:31 pm
Location: Mid Michigan

Re: Loading Hornady 451 dia. 200gr XTP bullets.

Postby Al in Mi » Sat May 11, 2019 3:46 am

If that's the 45acp bullet, the jackets are pretty thin and might come apart at those speeds.

Work up carefully if you do try them.
User avatar
Al in Mi
 
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Loading Hornady 451 dia. 200gr XTP bullets.

Postby Hoot » Sat May 11, 2019 5:10 pm

I've taken them up to 2500 but not beyond. That was plenty fast for my needs. They do exhibit multiple accuracy nodes as you progress up through different velocities, repeating about every 200fps but that was from a 1:24, 20" barrel. Not sure what a higher twist rate barrel will do at higher velocity. At 35gr Lil Gun they are a pleasant plinking round, even for recoil shy shooters.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Loading Hornady 451 dia. 200gr XTP bullets.

Postby plant_one » Sun May 12, 2019 12:45 pm

going from hoots info in 24 twist to a 16 twist is REALLY going to change the RPM on those - which is going to decrease the velocity these bullets will be able to handle before failure occurs. i dont know *WHERE* that fail point is... however lets do a little math...

rpm = Muzzle Velocity * 720 / twist rate


hoot's 2500 fps in the 24 twist = 75000 rpm
2500 fps in a 16 twist = 112,500 RPM

thats a 50% increase in the rpm... to maintain a similar RPM in the 16 twist would limit you to around 1675 FPS. (1675 * 720 / 16 = 75,375 RPM)



and we're discussing a bullet designed to work at 900 fps out of a 5" barrel... or roughly 40,500 rpm (assuming a standard - or from what i can gather is the standard twist - 1:16 twist 45 acp pistol)

so while running them at 2500 fps in a 24 twist represents a 85% increase in RPM over their intended spin, doing so in a 16 twist is at the same FPS translates to a 278% increase in RPM over their intended usage :o

If we *ASSUME* (yes i know... loaded statement) that this bullet's intended terminal velocity is 800 fps to 1600 fps (Like the 250 xtp is) that gives us an operating RPM range from 38000-72000 rpm. so right upwards to roughly the top end of hoot's testing. I'd have to contact hornady to find the specific's of the bullets design specs, but the fact that its holding up at 75,000 RPM @ 2500 fps leads me to believe that its about the right numbers anyway.



hornady has also likewise advised on the 250gr xtp (#45200) is designed for max use in 45 colt applications. as such their concern is more about base deformation leading to pressure spikes when fired at higher rifle velocity's. I'd have to imagine a similar caution should be taken with the 200gr XTP as well.

Image

Image


just some food for thought. as always play safe and work up slowly and remember to have fun along the way :)

Edited by Hoot to change https... to just http... in the image link
Last edited by plant_one on Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
plant_one
 
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: Oakland County, MI

Re: Loading Hornady 451 dia. 200gr XTP bullets.

Postby CJP1 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:35 pm

Thanks for your replies. I'll be loading up the rounds with the Hornady 200gr XTP's very carefully.
CJP1
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:31 pm
Location: Mid Michigan

Re: Loading Hornady 451 dia. 200gr XTP bullets.

Postby Hoot » Tue May 14, 2019 9:28 pm

Hoot wrote:I've taken them up to 2500 but not beyond. That was plenty fast for my needs. They do exhibit multiple accuracy nodes as you progress up through different velocities, repeating about every 200fps but that was from a 1:24, 20" barrel. Not sure what a higher twist rate barrel will do at higher velocity. At 35gr Lil Gun they are a pleasant plinking round, even for recoil shy shooters.

Hoot


I stand corrected. I was looking at the 240gr XTP Mag bullets that Midway has on sale and had them on my mind when I spoke. i would not take the non-Mag versions up above 1500fps, even in my 1:24 barrel.

Sorry for the bad advice. :oops:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Loading Hornady 451 dia. 200gr XTP bullets.

Postby plant_one » Tue May 14, 2019 10:52 pm

plant_one wrote:

hornady has also likewise advised on the 250gr xtp (#45200) is designed for max use in 45 colt applications. as such their concern is more about base deformation leading to pressure spikes when fired at higher rifle velocity's. I'd have to imagine a similar caution should be taken with the 200gr XTP as well.

Image



just some food for thought. as always play safe and work up slowly and remember to have fun along the way :)

Edited by Hoot to change https... to just http... in the image link



did you change it to http: to kill the image? it needs to be https: to display....
User avatar
plant_one
 
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: Oakland County, MI

Re: Loading Hornady 451 dia. 200gr XTP bullets.

Postby Hoot » Wed May 15, 2019 4:55 am

plant_one wrote:
plant_one wrote:

hornady has also likewise advised on the 250gr xtp (#45200) is designed for max use in 45 colt applications. as such their concern is more about base deformation leading to pressure spikes when fired at higher rifle velocity's. I'd have to imagine a similar caution should be taken with the 200gr XTP as well.

Image



just some food for thought. as always play safe and work up slowly and remember to have fun along the way :)

Edited by Hoot to change https... to just http... in the image link



did you change it to http: to kill the image? it needs to be https: to display....


With prntscr.com, for some reason, when the url invokes the secure socket (https) only the author can see the image. Changing it to simple http fixes that. At least that's been my experience. it may be a browser specific issue. I'm using the current release of Firefox. Its not the first time I've edited your image links to make them visible. Strange to hear that now the author can't see it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Loading Hornady 451 dia. 200gr XTP bullets.

Postby Hoot » Wed May 15, 2019 5:05 am

Hoot wrote:
Hoot wrote:I've taken them up to 2500 but not beyond. That was plenty fast for my needs. They do exhibit multiple accuracy nodes as you progress up through different velocities, repeating about every 200fps but that was from a 1:24, 20" barrel. Not sure what a higher twist rate barrel will do at higher velocity. At 35gr Lil Gun they are a pleasant plinking round, even for recoil shy shooters.

Hoot


I stand corrected. I was looking at the 240gr XTP Mag bullets that Midway has on sale and had them on my mind when I spoke. i would not take the non-Mag versions up above 1500fps, even in my 1:24 barrel.

Sorry for the bad advice. :oops:

Hoot


BTW, the 28 cents per bullet for the 240 XTP Mags is still going on and there was a free shipping coupon code if you bought two boxes or one each 240 and 300gr. The free shipping offers usually are only good for a few days.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Loading Hornady 451 dia. 200gr XTP bullets.

Postby plant_one » Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 am

Hoot wrote:
With prntscr.com, for some reason, when the url invokes the secure socket (https) only the author can see the image. Changing it to simple http fixes that. At least that's been my experience. it may be a browser specific issue. I'm using the current release of Firefox. Its not the first time I've edited your image links to make them visible. Strange to hear that now the author can't see it.

Hoot


hrm.. thanks for the heads up.. i totally wasnt aware of that.

i've been bucking the system with them pulling the image url out of the page source for a while now since they disabled remote hosting - at least the easy way - and thought maybe they'd caught on until i saw your edit note.

it might be a browser thing (i'm in chrome, and of course logged into my prntscr.com account) but i have no clue honestly.

ill have to post both the https and the http in the future so that both me and the public can see them.
User avatar
plant_one
 
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: Oakland County, MI

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests