Just a bit of a whoopsiedoodle

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Just a bit of a whoopsiedoodle

Postby TheBigUgly » Thu May 16, 2019 10:14 pm

Image So I grabbed a box of the 250gr Hornady XTPs by accident and I figured even though its non mag xtp and should be run at slower speeds, why not give it a go. My rifle is an 18inch BCA upper, and I was using Lilgun powder for my work up loads. Figuring it might be prudent to stay away from any max charge for the same weight ftx I should be in the clear, anyway while the groups were decent but nothing to write home about and the cases weren’t showing any weird stresses I went down to collect my target. Thats where things get odd, despite having 2 moa groups through it all, I found this bullet laying in the dirt backstop. I weighted it at home and it came in at 252 gr. The copper jacket isn’t split, its just turned completely inside out yet still attached at the base. Anyone ever see one like that?
TheBigUgly

Re: Just a bit of a whoopsiedoodle

Postby Al in Mi » Fri May 17, 2019 3:54 am

first I've ever saw like that
Al in Mi

Postby Lar45 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:12 am

Do you think that happened inside the barrel?
I've got a bunch of the 250XTPs leftover from along time ago. Maybe I should save those for the 454 instead??
Lar45

Postby plant_one » Sun May 19, 2019 12:47 pm

that had to have happened on impact with the berm.

the truly impressive part is the bottom of the bullet stayed bonded to the jacket.
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Mon May 20, 2019 1:10 pm

plant_one wrote:that had to have happened on impact with the berm.

the truly impressive part is the bottom of the bullet stayed bonded to the jacket.

I agree but have to ask, By what means is it still attached? Most cup and core are not just bonded at the bottom. Do keep that one as a memento of the truly weird! Maybe send that image to Hornady. Maybe they'll trade you a box of the 240 Mags for it, to do failure analysis. Never hurts to ask. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hopalong » Mon May 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Hoot wrote:
Maybe send that image to Hornady. Maybe they'll trade you a box of the 240 Mags for it, to do failure analysis. Never hurts to ask. ;)

Hoot

I like the way you think Hoot...

H
Hopalong

Return to Reloading for the 450b