Ranch dog 295g WFN

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Ranch dog 295g WFN

Postby cwlongshot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:48 pm

I acquired a new loaner mold last week!

The bullet is gonna be a good profile for the 450!!

Ill powder coat and size them 454 then in a couple
Weeks, Ill load some up!

Stay tuned!

CW
cwlongshot

Re: Ranch dog 295g WFN

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:51 am

.454?
That’s not the right diameter.
.451-.452 is the safest.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:46 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:.454?
.451-.452 is the safest.

typcially for cast you want to be +0.002 larger than the standard jacketed bullet for good fit to bore... so .454 is about right.
plant_one

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:01 pm

plant_one wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:.454?
.451-.452 is the safest.

typcially for cast you want to be +0.002 larger than the standard jacketed bullet for good fit to bore... so .454 is about right.

Yikes. I would be scared to death of sending that.
But if you say so.
I don’t know anything about using cast in my Thumpers.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:24 pm

I don’t run cast, but I know you want to have them a hair bigger. Me personally, I would try to measure the bore, just to be sure. If it’s .451 then size to .453, but that’s me being particular. You should be fine at .454.
Bmt85

Postby cwlongshot » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:33 am

Hahaha
Not reprimanding anyone here in any way. But when ya DONT KNOW, ask, investigate, learn or be quiet. God gave us TWO EYES AND TWO EARS but one mouth for good reason!! ;)Why would someone make the claim that you would never attempt something “so unsafe”, then in the very next breath, proclaim that you know nothing about the subject? As Plant explained a larger dia bullet when using Cast, is required.

Cast bullets are quite different then jacketed, but even jacketed running larger dia, isn't quite as volatile as “internet sources” would have you believe. Using Cast bullets opens a world of possibilities unknown to jacket bullet shooters. ESPECIALLY to those who also cast there own bullets!! Hardness, Diameter are variables UNKNOWN to a jacketed only re loader and BOTH PAY HUGE dividends to overall Preformance of your loadings.

Let me blow your mind a lil farther...when using cast bullets, best results are when bullet is actually TOUCHING the RIFLING! :shock: Yup truth. But if you have researched at all you may also know bench resters have learned this as well as very hot loads also shoot very small Groups. BUT there rifles are also built to more exacting tolerances. (Another topic for another day)

Know that Cast is not Jacketed for loading.

Generally speaking unless your shooting real hard bullets like 22+ BHN, “fat bullets” will shoot better. There are a few reasons for a specific bullet. And sometimes chambers are cut NOT to allow whats truly needed. IE small or short or non existent throats. Revolver cylinders cut too large. Are a few examples.

I have only loaded up one dummy. I only just cast and coated last weekend so the bullets need to season a while before Ill shoot them. I dont show it but these bullets are also gas checked design. Making jacketed velocities are reality if I wanted. Powder coating as goes a long way to preformance removing most all Leading worries as well as encapsulating the bullet in a polymer jacket that reduces to nill the Lead particles in the air. While affording the use of a softer projectile! Soft lead bullets expand like no other. :mrgreen:

CW
cwlongshot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:56 am

I’m just wondering if your twist rate might spin them apart upon leaving the muzzle. Looks tempting though. Keep us posted.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:58 am

CW, you firing them from a AR or bolt gun?
Al in Mi

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:59 am

One more observation. With that color.... If you happen to shoot them at night using NV and a black light, you might capture some cool video.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby cwlongshot » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:42 am

Hahaha. They will hold together, I have no worries! This first batch is cast hard, WW quenched so up about 18 BHN is my guess. (Lino is about 22/24 BHN) I HAVE SHOT A BUNCH OF MY 295g bullet at 17/1850 fps and its holding up to a foot of penetration into the dirt berm out at 125 yards.

You really should read up on lead bullets my friend!! Your missing out on allot of great information!! Cast Bullet Board has a bunch of good people who have forgotten more than I know.

CW

EDIT; Mine is a Ruger American Ranch bolt gun.
cwlongshot

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b