Primers wont come out of the case.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Primers wont come out of the case.

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:27 am

Personally I'd seat those 230gr FMJ's until there is about 1/16" of bearing surface above the case mouth and set your crimp for .473-.474 at the case mouth. The 450 has .200 of freebore and OAL isn't a problem for your RAR

40gr Lilgun will be a comfortable load to begin with.
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:23 pm

It seems you gotta have like 4 reloading books because one only deals with their bullets, one only deals with their powder etc

unfortunately - at least right now - there is very limited PUBLISHED reloading data for this caliber. while its become quite popular in a handful of states recently because of its deer hunting utility in areas with heavy restrictions - its not a huge nationwide thing with a massive following like other mainstream calibers have.

i'm not suggesting that we're in the weird minority - although most of us are a little weird :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - just that its not a massive mainstream caliber. I would call it a well accepted niche caliber, but one who's strong acceptance is still pretty young in the firearms world, relatively speaking.

hence the lack of mass amounts of published reloading data.
plant_one

Postby Rollins » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:14 pm

Yes I remember reading the 473 number for crimp in a few places.Its the col that got me, I know it can cause a lot of problems if not done correctly, id like to keep my rifles and fingers. Powder I am not so worried if it is close to what i can find published, with the bolt gun the rounds can be upped quite a bit but they are published for a semi auto.

So what you are saying is to leave juat 1/16 inch above the case mouth? For future loads, should I make it a practice to seat the bullet to a min of half the caliber? Ie bullet is .451 so seat the bullet min of .225 deep innthe case and just make sure I don't exceed the max length liated for the cartridge?

Sorry if I am asking dumb questions, I am reading and learning but with the 308 it was a bit easier cuz there was more data so i could easily match bullet, powder etc to get a load range and col.
Rollins

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:55 pm

Al in Mi

Postby Rollins » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:58 am

Ok thanks Al, 210 it is.
How did you figure on that length? Is there some sort of formula you used? Just asking cuz if i change bullets to try another weight or non hollow point id like to know how to decide lenghth and not have to bother you guys.
Rollins

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:12 am

Rollins wrote:Ok thanks Al, 210 it is.
How did you figure on that length? Is there some sort of formula you used? Just asking cuz if i change bullets to try another weight or non hollow point id like to know how to decide lenghth and not have to bother you guys.

was pure rocket science lol. I just seated till there was about that much bearing and rounded the number for easy remembrance. I've only shot 100 or so roundnose FMJ's, played with OAL a bit in the beginning but accuracy was always about 3". Those loads were mostly for buddys who just wanted to blast a 450 AR when they came out. I've had better accuracy with the Nosler 230gr flat points, those will keep about 2".

probably easiest way to get a OAL, take a dummy case and seat a bullet about half way, drop in chamber and close bolt. if they are seated long enough, the rifling will push the bullet back in the case which will give you a reference length to the lands. As a rule, I seat .050 off the lands in my bolt guns as long as there is enough shank of the bullet in the case. AR's will be limited to 2.250 mag length.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:40 am

I’ve had similar “lack of” accuracy with the 230 fmj’s. I keep some in every range trip for the same reason as Al and to foul the bore before testing a load experiment.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Hoot wrote:I’ve had similar “lack of” accuracy with the 230 fmj’s. I keep some in every range trip for the same reason as Al and to foul the bore before testing a load experiment.

Hoot

I never really liked that idea, because if you're trying to work up loads for solid coppers, it will most likely affect accuracy. That's why it's recommended to scrub the bore when switching to coppers, or back to jacketed. It may not affect all jacketed, even if you're not using the same bullet, but I still just scrub the bore, and load up foulers with the bullet I'm testing. Just my opinion anyway.
Bmt85

Postby Rollins » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:09 pm

Well I fired 5 rounds I reloaded 230 gr8 jhp, 40 grains lil gun, and col of 2.10.

I didnt blow anything up so success lol.
I was only 45 yds as that was all I had. 3 shots were touching 3 inches high and 2 off to the left but I think those were from me being a wuss and flinched.

I think I need to make the COL longer cuz I had a little trouble feeding the rounds. Also I had a little bit of soot at the head of the case and some around around the little groove in the back.
Rollins

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b