Bullet Creep!

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Bullet Creep!

Postby Hubcap52 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:11 pm

What did you call me??? :o :lol:
Hubcap52

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:34 am

I went and sized a couple once fire Hornady cases thru my Hornady sizer this morning.

.473 at the mouth
.448 in the ID, fresh out of the die.

I'm blessed that my Hornady expander die doesn't even touch the ID, just lightly flares the mouth.
Al in Mi

Postby mad_matt » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:07 am

Al, I just measured some cases after resizing to get a good set of numbers. My sized hornady brass has an OAL of around 1.697", Base dia. of .449", Outside mouth dia. of .475" and an inside mouth dia. of .449. You've got me beat by .001 on the neck tension but those numbers don't seem like a die problem to me... I may have mentioned before I'm crimping to .473 to try and keep the bullets in place. I will try to attach a pic of my crimp. I also checked the OAL of a factory hornady black 250FTX cartridge before (2.238") and after (2.250") chambering in my upper using the bolt release. Aparently EVERY cartridge I'm firing is expierencing the same jump. :shock:
Attachments
450 BM crimp.jpg
450 BM crimp.jpg (97.68 KiB) Viewed 9292 times
mad_matt

Postby mad_matt » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:25 am

Sorry for the HUGE pic.

And Hubcap, if that's what you get from the title you've got some issues to work through :lol:
mad_matt

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:08 pm

Something's not right there in that picture. With a crimp of .473 on a .452 smooth sided bullet, it should be swelling outside the mouth like a muffin top and it clearly isn't. I'd recommend verifying the resultant crimp width with a more precise micrometer, as opposed to a caliper. IMHO, a taper crimp would be more effective than that FCD looks. The taper crimp not only narrows the mouth, it also tapers the case down a ways, around more of the bullet. Again, just my opinion.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:07 pm

that looks more like a stab crimp applied right at the case mouth than a taper crimp.
plant_one

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:55 am

think he has Lee dies, if so they come with the collet crimp die which could make it look like that depending on how much bite and if he rotates and crimps again.
Al in Mi

Postby mad_matt » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:42 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Al, Plant one: To be clear I am using the Lee Factory Crimp Die for 450 bushmaster. I will load up a couple with a new crimp and try to get something more precise to measure them with. The dummy cartridge in the picture may have been re-seated and re-crimped again when I was testing the bullet creep. I will try some more with clean brass/bullets. It sounds like Hoot is politely telling me to hack the lee crimp die down for a side crimp and pony up the cash for a hornady taper crimp die. ;) I will look into a taper crimp die. Maybe wait for black friday or something. Any thoughts on the bullets in my factory hornady rounds moving when they are loaded too? Is that normal?

Hoot, I looked into the 200 gr xpb's, apparetly you've made them so popular that they are sold out at my usual places or the price is higher than the pressures in my 6.5CM reloads! Ha! Maybe another black friday buy.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks!
mad_matt

Postby mad_matt » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:12 am

450BM 275xpb2.jpg
450BM 275xpb2.jpg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 8365 times
UPDATE: It's been a while but I picked up some 275xpb's and plan on using H110, CCI450 primers, and my new ROCK CHUCKER!
I'm looking at an OAL of 2.18" Does that sound right for an AR?

As for the bullet creep, I picked up a hornady taper crimp die and have a lee fcd. I think I'm going to pass on the side crimps for accuracy and just not slam the bolt down every time when I'm hunting. I plan to crimp them down to .474 to get a good bite. Which crimp is best to use with the xpb's? Both?

And finally, how fast are guys safely pushing the 275's with H110 in an AR? Most of the info seems to be for bolt guns. I'm thinking working my way up to 40gr just to find pressure and backing off from there. (I'm working over 1 grain above max for my 250ftx/ Lil' Gun load with no pressure) My 18" barrel seems to be 100fps slower than most listed velocities. Suggestions?
Thanks for all the help. It's frustrating that there is still not a ton of info out there for all these different bullet/ powder combos. Here is a pic for your enjoyment :D
mad_matt

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:22 am

Data from Barnes which I believe is the same Hogdon has listed.

Al in Mi

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b