Minimum Load Ratio Question

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Minimum Load Ratio Question

Postby rob cullen » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:05 am

Hi all , Hope you had a good Xmas
I am looking at Sub loads with XTP 300 and will use Trail Boss as easy to get in Oz, i was having a look through the ADI handloading guide the other day when doing some 308 loads for Lithgow LA102 and i noticed that they list a sub 308 load using 8 grains of ADI AS30N with 168 Sie HPTP 1060fpt 26800 psi. From what i can see the AS30N is a fast burning shotty powder similar to Bullseye and N310 . ( There is no mention of using filler in the ADI data )
This got me curious to know if it would work in Bushy being fairly similar capacities. I downloaded Gordons reloading tool which i guess is similar to quickload but i have never used QL so cant say , anyhow i was pretty impressed with it for free.
I had a play with this using N310 which was on there data list and 300XTP using 8 gr N310 , COL 2.000'', said it would give VL 1083fps, 100% burn and a 40.9 % Load Ratio. Now this is the bit where i am totally inexperienced - What is the lowest recommended min case capacity % as general rule of thumb and does the rifle potentially blow up from a stuck bullet or similar.
Rifle is 110 savage bolt 18'' Barrel 450
Any thoughts appreciated
Cheers
Rob
rob cullen

Re: Minimum Load Ratio Question

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:59 am

Rob, though I don't do subsonic or suppressed work, my perception had always been that 80% is generally considered the safe minimum. There may be a more definitive answer and I'm no doubt sure that it depends upon the case topology and the individual powder being used burn rate. I've just gone for simple and strove for 80%.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:54 am

Like Hoot said, 80% is usually a good case fill. I have a feeling you won't be able to get that low (40%) with out running into issues. Work your way down when working with subs.

When trying to do subs, heavier bullets are typically longer, which lessens case capacity, making it easier and safer to workup subsonic loads. With the 450B I wouldn't go lower then 350gr. Probably more like 400gr if talking about cast.
Bmt85

Postby rob cullen » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:51 pm

Morning Hoot / Bm
Cheers For the advice and 80% min is good enough for me, i have only ever played with 308 loads working hotter and not the other way.
Hey i just remembered that the gunshop guy said they had some 450 BM subs due in soon - i just googled HDY and it is on there site showing it with 395gr XTP ( bang on what BM reckons )
I think i might just wait and try a box before i get too carried away as well as pull one down to see what powder weight / type they are using.
Anyhow thankyou Chaps and have a good day
Cheers
Rob
Attachments
hdy sub.PNG
hdy sub.PNG (98.17 KiB) Viewed 5241 times
rob cullen

Postby pitted bore » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:49 am

rob cullen wrote: ... i was having a look through the ADI handloading guide the other day when doing some 308 loads for Lithgow LA102 and i noticed that they list a sub 308 load using 8 grains of ADI AS30N with 168 Sie HPTP 1060fpt 26800 psi. From what i can see the AS30N is a fast burning shotty powder similar to Bullseye and N310 . ( There is no mention of using filler in the ADI data ) ...

A comment:
ADI (Australian Defense Industries) powder AS30N is distributed in the USA by Hodgdon as "Clays". It was introduced in 1992 and quickly gained a good reputation among shotgunners who reloaded for trap, skeet and other clay target games. Currently, Clays powder is made in Canada. Rumor indicates it is denser than the Australian version, but the charge weights remains the same.

Here are pertinent rankings, higher to lower rates, from a recent Hoddon list of powder burn rates:
  • 8.Red Dot
  • 9. Promo
  • 10. Clays
  • 11. Clay Dot
  • 12. 700-X
  • 13. Bullseye
  • 14. IMR Target
  • 15. Titegroup

The light 308 load is included in the Hodgdon reloading data web site, with 8 grains of Clays using a 168 Sierra MatchKing bullet. The Hodgdon data show the load generating 25,000 CUP at 1060 fps MV, as does the ADI 2016 Manual available as a pdf download. The data collected with pressure transducers are usually shown with psi units, while CUP indicated copper units of pressure.

(Hodgdon also shows a subsonic 308 load using 8.0 grains of Tightgroup powder with the 168-grain Sierra bullet, with a MV of 1080 fps and pressure of 25,000 CUP.)

--Bob
edited to fix spelling errors
Last edited by pitted bore on Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pitted bore

Postby rob cullen » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:49 pm

Morning Bob
Thanks for the info
Cheers
Rob
rob cullen

Return to Reloading for the 450b