Loading for AR, primer question

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Loading for AR, primer question

Postby Kiss of Death » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:16 pm

Thanks again for the feedback- I'm re-doing my reloading /gun room, hope to get after these soon (especially now that winter is breaking here in MI).
Kiss of Death

Postby Toad3324 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:31 pm

Aside from THE most accurate shooter, using THE most accurate rifle.
Will the primer component really offer a noticable, or even measurable difference in accuracy or velocity?
Toad3324

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:57 am

Not a apples to apples test, but years ago I had a factory Sako 6ppc single shot, thing would shoot mid .3's all day long, most accurate straight from the box rifle I ever owned. Anyway, I tried 5-6 different small rifle primers thru her one day just to see if primers made a difference, nope, nadda, nothing changed as far as accuracy. Didn't own a chrono at the time so can't say if speeds or ES changed, but group sizes never changed in that rifle.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:05 pm

When I had my AR10 .308 I tried a four primer test and in that case, they made a difference. The cheapest primer wound up producing the best group. Go figure!

That was using a recommended recipe from the Alliant reloading page for AR Comp powder and the primer they recommended (CCI 200) wound up doing the best. One of the few times in my experience that a load recipe from a web page actually did what they said it would.

I miss that LAR-8 Predator HP, with its cryoed barrel, to this very day. Amazingly accurate. :(

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b