275 TSX and bullet creep

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 275 TSX and bullet creep

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:43 am

yeah it's a TSX, have a bunch left from my 460 S&W days so load them long for the Ruger #1 and my rebarreled 700.

My 45 Raptor (rimless 460 s&w) suffers from a lack of neck tension with Barnes bullets and would get a little jump when I had it in a AR10 platform. The Hornady 460 sizer leaves the ID right at .451 so what I do with it is run the case up a 454 sizer die about 1/2" which makes the ID .447. I skip the expander die as the Barnes have a decent size base radius, light chamfer the case and seat. I still taper crimp to even out the mouth. I don't have the AR10 no more, just a bolt gun, but I do think it helps hold down the 15fps ES.

If I get a chance this weekend, I'll try the same thing on a 450 case. Might be adding another step to the process, but if it works I think it'd be worth it.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:19 pm

Al in Mi wrote:yeah it's a TSX, have a bunch left from my 460 S&W days so load them long for the Ruger #1 and my rebarreled 700.

My 45 Raptor (rimless 460 s&w) suffers from a lack of neck tension with Barnes bullets and would get a little jump when I had it in a AR10 platform. The Hornady 460 sizer leaves the ID right at .451 so what I do with it is run the case up a 454 sizer die about 1/2" which makes the ID .447. I skip the expander die as the Barnes have a decent size base radius, light chamfer the case and seat. I still taper crimp to even out the mouth. I don't have the AR10 no more, just a bolt gun, but I do think it helps hold down the 15fps ES.

If I get a chance this weekend, I'll try the same thing on a 450 case. Might be adding another step to the process, but if it works I think it'd be worth it.

I did a similar experiment but using a 45LC sizing die. The experiment was well chronicled with images but I won't bother linking to the thread as all my images were lost to Tiny Pic greed. The thread relied heavily upon the images and I don't think I kept a permanent set of them. I'll check some time and if I did, I'll update the "Tightneck" thread.

Hoot

EDIT: Turns out I did keep the images but will take some time figuring out which image went in which place in the thread.

Bottom line is you can see the minor constriction at the mouth end on the right, from this image:

In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Now I recall you doing that Hoot!!
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:24 pm

Al in Mi wrote:Now I recall you doing that Hoot!!

Yeah, the original experiment was 8 years ago as chronicled in This Thread, albeit without images. Thanks to member Lindex's idea, I thought it was ripe for experimentation but IIRC and it is a long thread, there was little gain in terms of group size or velocity SD. Not the first rabbit hole I ever went down and probably not the last with this caliber.

They should really change the title of that book to, "Zen and the Art of 450b Reloading". ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b