Sizing new Starline brass

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Sizing new Starline brass

Postby justonemorear » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:37 am

I started to prep my new brass and found that unless I completely size and flare the brass it would not fit in the Lee case length gauge for trimming.
Is this something common?
Years ago when playing w/ a 50 Beo I didn't have such issues.
Brass fit over my 460SW gauge before flare.
I did a temp fix by reducing the OD of the gauge to 0.435 (it was 0.447)
All my brass sized to 0.443 w/ Lee dies prior to flare.
Any input ?
thanks
justonemorear

Re: Sizing new Starline brass

Postby GaCop » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:03 am

Not familiar with the Lee, I trim on my Forester trimmer and have been using Hornady brass exclusively w/o any issues. I did find that my Forester .45 pilot won't enter a sized case so I improvised and use my 44 pilot. Seems to work well and the case mouths are nice and square.
Vietnam Vet Jun 66 - Dec 67
GaCop

Postby justonemorear » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:34 am

thanks
justonemorear

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:50 am

GaCop wrote:Not familiar with the Lee, I trim on my Forester trimmer and have been using Hornady brass exclusively w/o any issues. I did find that my Forester .45 pilot won't enter a sized case so I improvised and use my 44 pilot. Seems to work well and the case mouths are nice and square.

Forster has a couple different sizes of 45cal pilots, one fits a .458 and the other fits .451-.452ish.

you can spin them up in a drill and hold a piece of emery cloth on them to size them down a little.
Al in Mi

Postby PRKL8R » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:04 am

What Al said +1. I had to spin my .452 on fine emery also.
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby 07Kingpin » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:19 pm

Found the same thing. Just trimmed after first firing, have had nomissues and excellent accuracy.
07Kingpin

Postby Hoot » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:09 pm

IMHO, you shouldn't trim your brass until about the 3rd firing in an AR platform. By that time they will have gotten most of their shrinking done. I'd say that one trimming was all I ever needed to do in most of my cases as they never grew longer. I have heard that this is different in bolt action and single shot platforms. Besides a mil or two between cases doesn't really impact the 450b like my more precision bottleneck calibers. When I first started, all I could afford was Lee case trimmers. Life was simpler and they worked good enough to get the job done until I could afford an actual "crank" trimmer. I have those Lee case trimmers squirreled away in a drawer to this very day, however the case chucks are still quite useful. Unfortunately, not a one of them is perfectly centered. That would really help because I could chuck one of them in my lathe and turn necks more precisely. Not in the 450b caliber, but other calibers I reload for. The 450b needs all the neck tension it can get.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby justonemorear » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:47 am

I always trim Virgin Brass after sizing it. I treated the 450 as I did when I first played w/ the 50Beo over 10trs ago. Then as in now I only use the Lee hand trim setup w/ a cordless screwdriver, I can do it on the patio, porch or take it w/ me fishing.
justonemorear

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:43 am

justonemorear wrote:I always trim Virgin Brass after sizing it. I treated the 450 as I did when I first played w/ the 50Beo over 10trs ago. Then as in now I only use the Lee hand trim setup w/ a cordless screwdriver, I can do it on the patio, porch or take it w/ me fishing.

That doesn't speak well of where you go fishing. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:06 pm

Hoot wrote:
justonemorear wrote:I always trim Virgin Brass after sizing it. I treated the 450 as I did when I first played w/ the 50Beo over 10trs ago. Then as in now I only use the Lee hand trim setup w/ a cordless screwdriver, I can do it on the patio, porch or take it w/ me fishing.

That doesn't speak well of where you go fishing. ;)

Hoot

LOL. I was thinking that very same thing.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b