450 Barnes TEZ Results

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

450 Barnes TEZ Results

Postby Deerslayer586 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:42 pm

56B75FD4-7ACD-494A-B50A-9EDDF920187B.jpeg
56B75FD4-7ACD-494A-B50A-9EDDF920187B.jpeg (37.37 KiB) Viewed 3548 times

Finally got out to the range tonight. I ended up working up some loads with Barnes 250 TEZ to hunt deer this fall.
Hornady Cases 1x Fired
WSR Primers
2.26 OAL
5 mph headwind
75 degrees out
Crimped to .474 with a lee 450 FCD
Ruger American Ranch 16in with a Hybrid 46 Suppressor.

Started at 38 grains and worked up to 40 Grains of Lil Gun with no pressure signs.

39.5 and 40 Grains both shot decent groups but ended up with a vertical string. I came home and checked my scope rings and they were tight and action screws were too. Thinking it may have been me not anchoring into my shoulder enough? Any ideas on what might cause the vertical stringing? I kept an eye on my barrel and suppressor and they were cool to the touch during each 3 round firing.
Deerslayer586

Re: 450 Barnes TEZ Results

Postby Hoot » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:55 pm

Vertical stringing as the groups get smaller, are almost always a manifestation of varying velocity. The smaller the group, the more noticeable the stringing becomes, even though its still a great group. That just means you did everything you could to ensure precision. The velocity difference would be the only variable that is hard to control in this caliber. Barrels swing from low to high as the bullet races down the bore.The only solution, if you were chasing BR results, would be to tune the barrel so that the muzzle is rising past zero as the average velocity bullet emerges. The slower bullets would normally drop more but they exit the barrel later, when the muzzle has risen a little more. Its called positive compensation. It is accomplished most frequently by adding an adjustable tuner to the muzzle, to vary its effective length. It is also the reason why shooters often see a change in POI with versus without a muzzle brake or flash hider added. The smaller (more flexible) the barrel diameter is, the more it whips. Less noticeable with a bull barrel but still there.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: 450 Barnes TEZ Results

Postby Deerslayer586 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:27 pm

Appreciate the feedback Hoot! I've been reading up on the forum and the amount of Info on here is amazing! Your comment around velocity changes makes sense.

I'm definitely not going to chase BR results for a deer round. I'll call it good and focus on catchin' deers this fall.
Deerslayer586

Return to Reloading for the 450b