Clipping

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Clipping

Postby High Velocity » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:28 am

case.jpg
case.jpg (17.36 KiB) Viewed 3699 times

I was at the range last week with a new bolt gun. I had some factory 250 FTX and was sighting in. After the fourth shot the bolt would not close on a loaded round. I ejected the round, pulled out the bolt and a half moon shaped sliver of copper fell out on the benchtop. I gave the chamber a visual check then proceeded to shoot another five or six rounds and it happened again. I took a rod with a large patch and spun it around in the lug race and it had several pieces stuck on it. Once it was cleared I shot some 250TTSX handloads (made to book specs) and more of the same problems. I did not even notice the embossments in the cases until I got home and put the brass in the tumbler. These cases fed and extracted normally, but obviously there was debris in the chamber I did not see or feel during the shot string. Rifle was a new Bergara B-14 HMR 20". I picked up a new Bohman Arms a couple days later and after the scope was mounted I did my new gun pre range ritual of cleaning and inspecting everything. After I jagged the barrel I spun a patch in the lug race and when I pulled it out there was another crescent shaped piece of copper stuck in the patch. The gun was test fired by Bohman with 250 FTX and I have not shot it yet. Has anyone else ever run into this phenomenon?
High Velocity

Re: Clipping

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:01 am

had that happen on my 45 Raptor.

this is how it was explained to me. Bullet base obutrates inbetween the case mouth and edge of chamber. Sharp edge of chamber shears off that ring. So I carefully deburred the edge of the chamber, and all went away.

Al in Mi

Postby High Velocity » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:32 am

Did you have a specific tool you used for that?
High Velocity

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:38 pm

took a 3/8" polishing bob we use at work and coned the end, used dremel to work around it.

My Raptor is on a Savage and had the barrel off for Cerakote so was pretty easy.

you have two new guns showing the same thing, I'd drop both manufactures a line and see what they say.
Al in Mi

Return to Reloading for the 450b