Where do I start?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Where do I start?

Postby Tag Soup » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:20 pm

Okay, it's been a while since I was on here last, but I now have a new job, place to live and I can shoot off the back porch! With that comes the need to actually assemble some feed for my Ruger bolt gun in 450. If you guys can give me some advice on how to start off, it would be greatly appreciated!

Years ago I read about somebody (I believe it was Sheepdog) punching holes in 5/8 steel plate with the Nosler 230gr bullets. So I picked some up. I have 250gr XTP's and 300gr XTP's. I also have one box of the 250gr Ftx's... although I'm not inclined to use those to start off with, as I'd like some experience under my belt before I dig into those rare gems!

I have Remington #9 primers and Hornady brass. I have the Hornady dies and a pound of Lil'gun.

Now I've been prowling around long enough that some of you like to go find the extreme limit of what these things can do. That's not what I'm looking for... at the moment! What bullet / powder weight / C.O.L. should I start out with, assuming I'll ladder my way up a few grains?

I know there's a reloading database, but I've never been able to find it on here... anybody willing to point me in the right direction?

I think I'm suffering from analysis paralysis.
Tag Soup

Re: Where do I start?

Postby MOOSE EARS » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:47 am

For the 230gr FMJ, start of at 38gr off LilGun. It works best with the higher powder charges. I run them at 43gr but I'm psycho 8-)
MOOSE EARS

Re: Where do I start?

Postby plant_one » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:23 pm

Remington #9's (large rifle primer) arent gonna do much for the 450 bushmaster. however the #7½'s (small rifle primer) will put you in happy land :)
plant_one

Return to Reloading for the 450b